advertisement

What book are you reading and would you recommend it?

In the last few years I've read a fair few books following major historical events, trying to tell their tale not simply as a history book but with some flair as well.
The latest of which I thought was going to be fab and came on high recommendation.
Vietnam an Epic Tragedy 1945-1975 by Max Hastings.
Unfortunately I've found the writing style/ delivery, for me, to be mind numbingly tedious and have, therefore, given up on it.

I read it as a kid, and didn't understand it, obvs !

It's so well written, and the analysis of how totalitarian states work seems very believable to me. The parallels with what's going on today seem too close for comfort, too.

I've read quite a bit of Orwell this year. I started with Homage to Catalonia after visiting my son who lives in Barcelona, then went on to read Wigan Pier and Down & Out.

Animal Farm next, I suppose; another one I haven't read since adolescence.

Post Office - Charles Bukowski

quarter of the way through, all seems very samey to me
I generally struggle with poetry but there is a raw beauty and honesty in Bukowski’s best work that I’ve never found elsewhere. No-one writes quite like him, although many try
I've read quite a bit of Orwell this year. I started with Homage to Catalonia after visiting my son who lives in Barcelona, then went on to read Wigan Pier and Down & Out.
Been revisiting Orwell myself. Incredible writer and intellect. Coming Up For Air is very poignant and overlooked.

I generally struggle with poetry but there is a raw beauty and honesty in Bukowski’s best work that I’ve never found elsewhere. No-one writes quite like him, although many try
It is not poetry, but a novel based on a job he held.

Billie's Blues by John Chilton. I think this might be the third bio of Billie Holiday I've read and it's a somewhat sensational take on her life. But she did lead a sensational life.

Conflict by Gen.David Petraeus/Andrew Roberts. Know a bit about the subject matter and find little to disagree with in terms of history. Most militarys pay attention to lessons learned (either formally or informally) and that's the main theme of this history of warfare since WW-II. Ir does pretty close to ignore some major African conflicts ( Eritrea v. Ethiopia for instance) or the Central African resource wars -that in terms of length of conflict , casualties and treasure deserve analysis . Recently turned onto Mick Herron and been flying thru his books.

Been revisiting Orwell myself. Incredible writer and intellect
I've been re-reading Orwell's literary non-fiction, in a collection called Inside the Whale and other essays. It's not just his penetrating insights that are compelling but also his concise and precise use of language. Rather like poetry, in that sense.

Homo Deus - Yuval Noah Harari. I bought this a few years ago and have only got around to reading this now. Onto the last section but it's uncanny how prescient the Author was, considering it was published 8 years ago. Alot of what he says rings true and does make you think.

"On growth and form" by D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson. (How could you go possibly go wrong with a tome authored by a chap with a name like that :))

If ever you wanted to know why you don't get 8' tall humans, or miniature elephants, and why Darwin was right about a lot of things - here's where to go.

Transcription by Kate Atkinson. Thought I would read a female author for a change, especially as the title indicated it might be a history of vintage turntables 😁No such luck! but it is a well written, fairly intricate caricature of the wartime MI5 activities of various English and foreign types, and the repercussions. Haven’t finished it yet but it’s an entertaining yarn and the protagonist is full of humorous asides (maybe too full). I will try another of her books as this one, according to reviews, is not her best.

advertisement

Back