advertisement

What book are you reading and would you recommend it?

Biggsy

pfm Member
Just to kick this one off, I’ve just put down “Lessons” by Ian McEwan. Unusually for me I gave up on it when I was about 7/8ths of the way through as I just couldn’t be bothered with it any longer. The story was ok but it just dragged on to the point where I’d lost interest. Very unusual for me as I very rarely give up on a book.

Anyone else got any books they’ve enjoyed or hated?

Oh, soz.I did a search for “books” and didn’t see anything (which I did think was a bit odd). Soz everyone, please ignore

Well my searching is totally failing me to find said, any chance of a link?

.sjb
Good question. I can't find anything either.

I was convinced there was one, once upon a time...and I know that the search function here is pretty useless,

...but I may well be thinking of a thread on a certain other audio forum. Apologies for the confusion. 🤔

Just to kick this one off, I’ve just put down “Lessons” by Ian McEwan. Unusually for me I gave up on it when I was about 7/8ths of the way through as I just couldn’t be bothered with it any longer. The story was ok but it just dragged on to the point where I’d lost interest. Very unusual for me as I very rarely give up on a book.

Anyone else got any books they’ve enjoyed or hated?
If I am going to give up on a book, it's usually early on. The only book I didn't finish having got beyond half way was A Glastonbury Romance by John Cowper Powys. A real Sargasso Sea of a book.

any chance of a link?
500 posts here…

400 posts here…

I’m (not getting very far with) reading Fumio Sasaki’s essay on minimalist living, Goodbye, Things. Thought-provoking, but I perhaps like having all kinds of stuff too much, such as… more books.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am reading 2 at the moment. Munich, by Robert Harris. I have discovered I like his style, so I have 7 out from the library at the moment. They give me an extended loan period these days. 😎
And The Lady in the Palazzo, by Marlena de Blasio. Another writer whose style appeals to me. I am on my 4th by her. She is a food writer, but I will forgive her that. :)

The Promise by Damon Galgut. Explores the characters and relationships of (white) family members around a never-kept promise to a black maid in South Africa. Recommended.

Anyone who enjoys Science Fiction, I thoroughly recommend Stephen Baxter. Specifically, he is considered to be a "hard" Sci-Fi writer.

500 posts here…

400 posts here…

Ah thanks! I wasn't wrong, I knew there was one somewhere. Useless bloody search function!

Anyone who enjoys Science Fiction, I thoroughly recommend Stephen Baxter. Specifically, he is considered to be a "hard" Sci-Fi writer.
I don’t get on with Sci-Fi generally… but am intrigued to know what ‘hard’ means in this context; you never know it might sway me.

Patrick Modiano, La danseuse.
Probably my favourite novelist, no idea whether the English translation is any good.
His books have a unique atmosphere to them, which I never could find anywhere else.

Alan Johnson In my Life. His books are almost too easy to read but he does unearth a few musical gems that I might have missed from "my era".

Currently reading Sam North The Unnumbered. North Circular Road, Muswell Hill etc backdrops provide familiarity to me but the characters and plot are also intriguing.

Quite fancy David Grann The Wager - a historical tale of shipwreck, mutiny and murder.

I’m (not getting very far with) reading Fumio Sasaki’s essay on minimalist living, Goodbye, Things. Thought-provoking, but I perhaps like having all kinds of stuff too much, such as… more books.
I enjoyed reading Marie Kondo's book - but I think you just have to pick the bits that make sense for you. I decided against Kondo-san's advice to through away every last piece of paperwork...

If it's any consolation, in my experience Japanese homes tend in reality to be absolutely stuffed to the gills with *stuff*. When I lived in Tokyo I used to sometimes go for weekend retreats at a Zen temple in the countryside. Full of stuff. Even behind the beautiful altar in the main hall.. boxes of stuff everywhere!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Gunther Steiner's summary of a year or so in Formula 1, "Survive to Drive".

It's basically a long list of diary entries, but there's some cracking funny stories interspersed between the factual stuff.

Politics On the Edge a memoir from within by Rory Stewart. Reflects my long career in the Civil Service. Quite funny at times.

advertisement

Back