advertisement

What artist or band writes the best song lyrics?

Donald Fagen is an obvious omission by me. I also really like Jackson Browne as a lyricist. You then have all the great American songbook writers, Carol King, Smokey Robinson & Tom Waits. We are awash with options.

I agree about Dylan. Even when he resorted to cliches he still owned them. Neil Young too.

Sometimes Andy Partridge was capable of decent lyrics.

so many moods, so many words to express exactly how i was, am feeling. Anger, love, sadness, hope, despair, laughter....I've lyrics for all.
Ray Davis, Kirsty McColl, Jackson Browne, Joan Armatrading, Paul Simon, Cohen, way too many to mention. Really only the most sugary of pop doesn't do it for me, and even then sometimes, it does.

paA9s8x.jpeg

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Apart from Ian Dury, Dylan of course.

Surprised no one has mentioned Robert Hunter yet. His words stand alone - he was a published poet and translator of poetry - but were written to be sung by Garcia and designed for Garcia's voice and persona. Hunter was also a fine singer himself.

Also a word for the two greats Anon and Trad. "Matty Groves" (famous version by Fairport) for example is a gripping story full of startling images and taut narrative. There are many more in all cultures.

Ray Stevens, notably for The Streak

Once again, your action news reporter in the booth at the gym
Covering the disturbance at the basketball playoffs
Pardon me sir, did you see what happened?
Yeh, I did...half-time, I was just going down there
To get Ethel a snow cone
Here he come right our of the cheap seats
Dribblin'...right down the middle of the court
Didn't have on nothin' but his PF's
Made a hook shot and got out thru the concession stand
I hollered up at Ethel, I said don't look Ethel
It was too late...She'd already got a free shot

Grandstanded...Right there in front of the home team

Ray Stevens, notably for The Streak

Once again, your action news reporter in the booth at the gym
Covering the disturbance at the basketball playoffs
Pardon me sir, did you see what happened?
Yeh, I did...half-time, I was just going down there
To get Ethel a snow cone
Here he come right our of the cheap seats
Dribblin'...right down the middle of the court
Didn't have on nothin' but his PF's
Made a hook shot and got out thru the concession stand
I hollered up at Ethel, I said don't look Ethel
It was too late...She'd already got a free shot

Grandstanded...Right there in front of the home team
Love it - always makes me smile. Another one hit wonder with more tasteless lyrics (IMO) was Keith West - Excerpt from a Teenage Opera. The squeaky kids near the end make me cringe……Maybe we need a thread for funny lyrics (no point doing one for cr*p lyrics as the list would go on forever…….

Two omissions (I think) so far... Peter Gabriel and Neil Tennant. The latter writes some poppy pap, but when he puts his mind to it... Being Boring is a lyrical masterpiece... no I'm not joking.

That’s not a skirt girl, that’s a sawn off shotgun
And I can only hope, you’ve got it aimed at me…..Alex Turner writes some great lyrics

advertisement

Back