advertisement

What are you listening to right now #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultramarine_-_Every_Man_and_Woman_Is_a_Star.jpg

Having a 90’s sort of morning, got to say this is a lovely mixed album, not too much bass :)

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys - Machine Gun. 24/96 DL. Recorded Jan 1st 1970

Happy New Year to all

I'd always lazily assumed the other puppets were Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding - with John Peel randomly thrown in for good measure. Which of course makes no sense for a Band Of Gypsys sleeve! The internet tells me the other two are Brian Jones and Bob Dylan. Which still doesn't make any sense : )

Here's a photo of Dutch artist Saskia De Boer with her work.

Mws7cBy.png

Happy New Year Mike!

I'd always lazily assumed the other puppets were Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding - with John Peel randomly thrown in for good measure. Which of course makes no sense for a Band Of Gypsys sleeve! The internet tells me the other two are Brian Jones and Bob Dylan. Which still doesn't make any sense : )

Here's a photo of Dutch artist Saskia De Boer with her work.

Mws7cBy.png

Happy New Year Mike!

She also did the Faces puppets for the back of "A Nod's As Good As a Wink"

DjtrExAXoAAurlP

An overnight fall of 10cm of the white stuff here in North east Scotland has inspired me to listen to Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow. I haven’t listened to this for years. Steve Gadd on drums, Danny Thompson on bass, Andy Fairweather Low and Elton John on backing/ co vocals… atmospheric….

I'd always lazily assumed the other puppets were Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding - with John Peel randomly thrown in for good measure. Which of course makes no sense for a Band Of Gypsys sleeve! The internet tells me the other two are Brian Jones and Bob Dylan. Which still doesn't make any sense : ) Happy New Year Mike!
Not to forget that the sleeve was hastily withdrawn on the grounds of poor taste!
From wikipedia:
Track used album cover art which proved controversial, as they had done with Electric Ladyland.[69] It depicted unflattering puppets or dolls that resembled Hendrix, Brian Jones, Bob Dylan, and John Peel huddled next to a drab, corrugated backdrop.[69] The significance of posing the three with Hendrix was not evident as they had no known association with the Band of Gypsys nor the group's material. Hendrix was an admirer of Dylan and recorded some of his songs;[83] Jones, who died the year before, had participated in a recording session for Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" (a Dylan composition);[83] and Peel hosted BBC's Top Gear radio show when Hendrix performed there in 1967.[84] Jeffrey remarked, "If ever there is an award for the worst taste album cover it must go to this".[69] Responding to public pressure, Track later replaced it with a photograph of Hendrix performing at the August 1970 Isle of Wight Festival.[82]
Happy New Year Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back