advertisement

What are you listening to right now #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic Channel – BCD-2

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

fbc2e78fc7d21cd34ec76d669a693c8ca4d773fb.jpeg

Djinn - Transmission

Musicians from Hills and GOAT doing a more Jazzy, Funky version of what Hills and GOAT do.

On vinyl - arrived last night but going back today for a replacement as some there are some nasty glitches on side 1

I want a good copy of this one - it's a beautiful, intelligent record, as much a song cycle as a jazz record, and way too good too accept glitches.

OIP.whUerTSXNiWjcJw1ogStRgHaHa

On vinyl - arrived last night but going back today for a replacement as some there are some nasty glitches on side 1

I want a good copy of this one - it's a beautiful, intelligent record, as much a song cycle as a jazz record, and way too good too accept glitches.

OIP.whUerTSXNiWjcJw1ogStRgHaHa
Good call on this one. :) Yes, much less pure jazz than her previous records although there are hints that she is extending into a wider territory. The few studio tracks on Dreams and Daggers for instance which is otherwise live at the Village Vanguard. This is almost like a new version of a Schubert Song Cycle, Winterreise or Die schöner Müllerin (but with more complex instrument accompaniment) where different songs (poems) are brought together to make a final narrative around an overall theme.

Worth holding out for a good pressing my one was fine. If I wanted to be hypercritical there are though a few touches of mike overload on the upper range of her voice occasionally, but this hasn’t put me off.

Good call on this one. :) Yes, much less pure jazz than her previous records although there are hints that she is extending into a wider territory. The few studio tracks on Dreams and Daggers for instance which is otherwise live at the Village Vanguard. This is almost like a new version of a Schubert Song Cycle, Winterreise or Die schöner Müllerin (but with more complex instrument accompaniment) where different songs (poems) are brought together to make a final narrative around an overall theme.

You can certainly see the results of the formal music study shining through now. I'm happy with the CD, for once...

You can certainly see the results of the formal music study shining through now. I'm happy with the CD, for once...
I’m actually thinking (remembering) now that it is probably more like Schubert’s much earlier ‘Kosegarten’ poems settings where he apparently took many of the poems with different characteristics and cross referenced them and moved the order of them about until he came up with about 20 to form the narrative he was after.

I need to listen to more Schubert again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back