advertisement

What are you listening to right now #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished listening to..."Peace at last" - Blue Nile...that blast of the choir near the end...Thrilling !
AS I write, the opening bars of " Mid-Air" , Paul Buchanan... his voice is fecked now but the beauty of the song eases yer mind...:cool:

MC0zMjI0LmpwZWc.jpeg

LP.
The Shelter Recording Co.

Good Album. Awful cover.

I really like his Capital years (what I have of it) - I bet that's a great comp.

The two tracks from "Soul Zodiac" are pretty spiffy but the standout track for me is "Walk Tall" a Zawinul compilation from "Country Preacher" which is damn funky. A bit of googling though led to this version with George Duke and it moves. I need to find a copy of the CD.

The two tracks from "Soul Zodiac" are pretty spiffy but the standout track for me is "Walk Tall" a Zawinul compilation from "Country Preacher" which is damn funky. A bit of googling though led to this version with George Duke and it moves. I need to find a copy of the CD.

I like that - I need to track down more of his later stuff too.

Zawinul was great in his group. On one of the live albums Cannonball says something like "Joe is a great traveller. He's always on some trip or other..." Haha :)

52055022828_3b68d4a55f.jpg

First listen to this, which arrived a couple of days ago. I can’t help but compare it to the Great Concert and Cornell albums from eight years previously, and of course it isn’t as good. Apart from Mingus himself, the personnel is totally different. But every time I think ‘I miss Dannie, or Eric, or Jaki, or Clifford’ I realise CM must have felt the same 100 times stronger. It’s nice to listen to - the SQ is terrific - but for me, a heretic, the music comes first, not the recording. This is polite and pleasing rather than incendiary, passionate and challenging. And the out-of-tune piano is irritating (unless this was some kind of joke - I admit I haven’t read the huge booklet yet.) But I’ll listen to it again, plenty more times. I’m glad I spent £15 on the CD rather than £75 on the vinyl, though.

@idlewithnodrive are you having a 'singers of indeterminate sexuality who have flirted with right wing imagery' evening? ;-)

Only in your eyes mate :) No problem at all with indeterminate sexuality (my youngest son identifies thus), but right wing philosophy is a massive no no here.

Classifying Bowie as such (especially considering his proclivities and era) is a bit disingenuous, don't you think ?

Only in your eyes mate :) No problem at all with indeterminate sexuality (my youngest son identifies thus), but right wing philosophy is a massive no no here.

Classifying Bowie as such (especially considering his proclivities and era) is a bit disingenuous, don't you think ?

No problem with sexualities of any kind here either! And yes, I'm being mean to Bowie who was unquestionably a good egg - just couldn't resist the extremely tenuous connection.. sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back