advertisement

What are you listening to right now #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
711IJVQzBCL._SS500_.jpg

This is great on vinyl, can’t stop listening to it.

Tonight so far I’ve listened to, Nils Lofgren-Acoustic Live, The Cars-Heatbeat City and right at this very moment, I’m listening to an acoustic version of Jim Diamond’s “I Should’ve Known Better”, he was a very underrated artist IMHO.
Now I’m just wondering what to play next.

Finally got around to Vol. 1 of Beatles at the BBC. (DeAgostini Series) Played all 3 discs in succession and it kept my attention all through. I heard much of this on AM radio at the time and loved it. Also, a good friend (sadly deceased) recorded much of it on a Grundig TK5. One song I remember Bob playing back to me in his living room above a shop, was 'Clarabella' It was only a year or so back that I discovered it was a song from the Jodimars.. a rebel offshoot of Bill Haley's band.

I was prepared for a dose of nostalgia. I wasn't so prepared for the superb job the Beatles did of so many songs, their own, and many from their major influences such as Holly, Little Richard, Ray Charles et.al. Vocals in particular hold their own with anything before or since.
Vol.2 ASAP.

broadsword and the beast - jethro tull. There, I said it.

remastered version - played very loud with a vintage CD player as source. And sounding a great deal better than I remember.
Still not got the wit (lyrics are at times embarrassing and a sign of much worse to come after the alien abduction of the real Ian Anderson) and dexterity of their earlier stuff (gerry conway's a great drummer but he's a bit wasted on the album as it has little of the rhythmic complexity of the Barlow or Bunker days), and 80s instrumentation and recording never really suited the band.
saw them on tour with it back in the day - fantastic gig at wembley arena - last blast of being good live I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back