advertisement

What are you listening to right now #12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just played Is this the life and then I spot a little conversation about it.
Good coincidence, awesome song.

Tapes & Tapes "The Loon"

"What at first seems like a promising local band's modest demo becomes increasingly blissful with each listen, its 11 tracks stuffed with hook after addictively anthemic hook" said Pitchfork which, their propensity for hype aside, is not a bad sum up.

I like it a lot.

Matthew

Matthew-

That one is #6 on my local music shop's charts... not a bad proxy for decent music once pot-smoker and other oddball Pacific NW biases are removed, IME. :)

Should I give it a try then?

PS- I am really enjoying the new Destroyer and Neko Case albums, FWIW.

I think you'd like it Erik. Noting groundbreaking but a lot to like nonetheless less.

As every you should be able to track down some samples. Try http://www.rhapsody.com/album?albumId=9465269 for a start (doesn't work in UK but promises to work for the US).

Matthew

PS They are from Minnesota I think. I find myself fasinated by these mid-western US towns that manage to seem both mundane and exotic at the same time (IYSWIM). Portland is, I think, somewhere i'd like to visit -- anyone know what its like?

PPS I'll pick the Neko case up tomorrow if I get a moment.

Matthew-

Portland is in the Pacific NW, not the Midwest, and is killer. Way cooler than Seattle IMO. Great music scene, tremendous strip clubs, the best beers on the West Coast (Oregon in general), good food, green, and a bit hippy. It's how Seattle should be IMO if it didn't begin to take itself too seriously and go all business-like. Someone who lives in Portland will obviously now tell me I've got it all wrong. Which is fine, 'cause I still think Portland *rocks*.

Unless of course you were referring to Portland, Maine, which still isn't in the Midwest but has some okay beers. ;-)

No, no Portland, Oregon is the place I have in mind. I use the term "midwest" somewhat loosely to mean anywhere not the East Coast, California, states with SEC football teams or Texas such is my limited knowledge of America.

What about North and South Dakota? That's just potato farms and scary Replublicans who want to pass repressive abortion laws right? That would be authentically midwest though?

Matthew-

I have never been to N. Dakota but I bet broomball is popular on Friday nights. S. Dakota, I have only driven through and from just that (i.e., no exploring) it was dull and depressing. But I suppose there's a nugget worth a look everywhere.

I think you would like the Western mountain states and the Southwestern states. Maybe the deep South, i.e., Mississippi Delta too. Because none of these places have major "trendy" cities but they have tons of towns and people oozing with character.

People in the Midwest do have a lot to write songs about, though- rusty cars, ice fishing, unionized labor, and of course a crap (major) college basketball conference. ;-)

Lee "Scratch" Perry- Arkology

Anyone who doesn't own this should be kicked in the balls.

Whew, I just dodged a ball kicking.

Saw him live about 5 years ago and he came off as a crazyperson who lucked out and somehow became a reggae icon.

Mike Sae said:
Saw him live about 5 years ago and he came off as a crazyperson who lucked out and somehow became a reggae icon.

He became an icon because he produced some of the greatest records in the history of reggae 30+ years ago (some of them in the Arkology box Erik mentions). He's a bit random nowadays.

-- Ian

Love And Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven
Have been pleasantly surprised by this and Earth-Sun-Moon since they arrived from Tony.
Better than I had expected.

Disk 2 of the Jimmy Lyons box put out a couple of years ago by Ayler Records. Hard as nails.

-- Ian

'Rolled Gold' Decca's Stones anthology covering their career up to and including 'Let It Bleed'. Hardly a duff track, and consistently good sound quality.

sideshowbob said:
He became an icon because he produced some of the greatest records in the history of reggae 30+ years ago (some of them in the Arkology box Erik mentions). He's a bit random nowadays.

-- Ian

Well said that man.

Dean

Hi,

been listening to

The Sinceros - The sound of sunbathing
Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Introducing Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66
David Bowie - The World of David Bowie

Dean

Was: Television - Marquee Moon (LP). Made me wonder how much guitar based rock has developed in the past 30 years - errr.... it hasn't.

Is: Ornette Coleman - Change Of The Century (LP). Excellent - need more early Ornette.

Cheers

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back