advertisement

What are you doing to minimise catching or spreading Covid-19

Our local gym will probably close in a couple of weeks, but I wonder if the pool should stay open. You know all that smelly chorine stuff, wouldn't that ko the virus?

Our local gym will probably close in a couple of weeks, but I wonder if the pool should stay open. You know all that smelly chorine stuff, wouldn't that ko the virus?

I go to St Joesph's in Clarkston and they've removed the holy water fonts and there's no shaking hands at 'peace be with you' and no holy communion wine either.

I don't think that it will be long before the church closes until this all over.

I have read his work

So you will have seen the three main things he advocates.

Eating good quality food, exercise and good sleep. He must earn a fortune from that mantra.

Yes a quack indeed.

Unlike say Coca Cola who 'pay' for research to show no danger from their products, as did the tobacco companies for decades..

Was in a shop Sunday which had those taps that only flow for about ten seconds, had to touch the tap in between which completely screwed the 20 second advice. After leaving the washroom there were three doors which required opening. Realistically in daily life, the chances that hand washing will make much difference must be fairly low. If there is that much concern why are people not wearing latex gloves or provided in shops and transport hubs?

I always open toilet doors with a gloved hand or a piece of tissue when leaving.
To not do so makes washing hands a waste of time.

Why then if vitamin supplements are 'snake oil' does the NHS prescribe them ?
My mother is prescribed a daily dose of Vit.D and VitB9.
Would you like to show me where I said that vitamin supplements are snake-oil? What I said was that Mercola peddles them as cures for conditions that they have no proof of being effective for. He uses the grain of truth (vitamins are essential for the body's function) to build a big lie (taking extra vitamins makes you healthier). A reasonable diet and a small amount of outdoors exercise is enough to provide all the vitamins a healthy person requires.

The NHS, or rather doctors, prescribe vitamins because like other medicines, they are sometimes needed to treat medical conditions. The thing is, this happens after the doctor has examined the person and decided that there actually is a nutritional deficiency that needs to be treated. If your mother has been told, after being examined by her GP, to take two nutritional supplements (neither of which are remotely like Vitamin C in structure or function) to make up for an obvious deficiency, that really has no bearing on what I said before: taking Vitamin C supplements while healthy has no beneficial effect.

You might think I'm being a bit harsh here, but this kind of pseudo-science bullshit costs lives. Anyone who sits back and allows- encourages, even - people to give their children vitamin C tablets instead of vaccinating them against measles deserves much worse than my anger.

I can’t remember the last commercial premises bathroom I entered that had manual taps.
I seem to spend inordinate amounts of time flapping and waving my hands in the vicinity of most taps to get them to work these days.

To reply to my own question, this appeared on the BBC 40 mins ago. "The water in most swimming pools contains chlorine, a chemical which can kill viruses. So it should be safe to use a swimming pool as long as it is properly chlorinated.

However, you could still catch the virus from an infected person in a changing-room or building if they contaminate surfaces, such as door handles." So I guess the pool will close down like most other places where people get together. Pubs might be quieter at the weekend though.

I go to St Joesph's in Clarkston and they've removed the holy water fonts and there's no shaking hands at 'peace be with you' and no holy communion wine either.

I don't think that it will be long before the church closes until this all over.
Looks like no place is sacred at the end of the day!

We had one person desinfecting his hands and preparing the bread. The people could take a piece of bread and dip it in the wine. No handshaking either.

It starts to look like hardcore heretic protestants! (what I originally am :)

She could go for a walk too and forget the Vit. D. Maybe she cant walk that good anymore and then - indeed - they get Vit. D prescribed.

Someone near to me prescribes this to elderly people and female muslims.

All very true, she is 91 with Alzheimers so she rarely leaves the flat.

My point was that the NHS used to consider Vitamin supplements as unnecessary but now actually prescribe such things.

In answer to those who see vendors of supplements as snake oil merchants.

advertisement

Back