advertisement

What amplifier do I want?

We just finished having our new kitchen fitted on Friday (Mrs BD wanted it before Xmas) so a few extra sales would be nice to pay for it. :p

Good luck with your search!

Kitchen project to be tackled in new year for us..

What are your recommendations re application options for the delightful Ls50's Mr BD?

I'm not a huge fan or EAR myself, not saying it isn't good just that for me it's never hit the spot.

If it's 2nd hand you're after you'll be chancing it tbh but if you buy at a good price you'll be able to move on at no loss, it may be a bit of box swopping until you find something that suits YOUR ears with your speakers and room.

I do like those little LS50s though, cracking speakers for their size and budget!

My preference is for a valve integrated... but really its all about how good I can get the ls50's to sound..I used to own an Almarro 318b integrated that once warmed up had a wonderful way with midrange inner detail and airy highs..I would like to get the best of these aspects of the sound but combined with power grip and headroom.

I should mention the music I enjoy most as this will influence amplifier choice.

I love acoustic jazz : Antonio forcione, Pat Matheny, martin Taylor, Pierre Bensusan.

I like it highly dynamic and rhythmic. I also favour female vocals such as Mary black, Melody gardot, Eva Cassidy, Cassandra Wilson, Indigo girls, Stacy Kent, Shawn Calvin, and bonnie raitt to name but a few...

Having read the thread again and seeing what you're looking for in more detail, I really would second my recommendation of Croft. I don't think I've seen your budget, so either 25/7 or 25R/7R as you can afford. You can get them made with a single volume pot if that is irksome, and you can even get a remote made for them if necessary. I've used Croft with LS50 and there is a really good synergy; as a hybrid mosfet/valve design the Crofts are rich and spacious but have plenty of dynamic potential in reserve.

Here's a clue......

VINCENT

Rather good tube /SS hybrids which were being demoed with the Ruark range of speakers last time I bothered going to a hi-fi show.

Really very very good.

Having read the thread again and seeing what you're looking for in more detail, I really would second my recommendation of Croft. I don't think I've seen your budget, so either 25/7 or 25R/7R as you can afford. You can get them made with a single volume pot if that is irksome, and you can even get a remote made for them if necessary. I've used Croft with LS50 and there is a really good synergy; as a hybrid mosfet/valve design the Crofts are rich and spacious but have plenty of dynamic potential in reserve.

Where can you get a remote made for a Croft?

Looking for an amplifier that gives me the best qualities of valves but also the best of solid state bass grip/ tightness and ultimate headroom....

Best qualities of valves but also bass grip/tighness and headroom?
Would you also like slam and prat to go with that?

Conrad Johnson Premier 350 SA is what you seek, if budget allows.
Else, its little brother the CJ CA200 is not far off.

advertisement

Back