advertisement

What amplifier do I want?

Done a demo of the Pathos remix amp. Was far better than my pre-amp plus two power amps. Fantastic sounding.

Arcam may well be a good option... however Ive never been interested enough to ever pursue them..they just don't do it for me..especially somt like the way the look..vain I know but I would have it sat their in my living room looking at me and saying hello I'm a dull grey box that looks alot like an Av amp....

Arcam may well be a good option... however Ive never been interested enough to ever pursue them..they just don't do it for me..especially somt like the way the look..vain I know but I would have it sat their in my living room looking at me and saying hello I'm a dull grey box that looks alot like an Av amp....

The A49 looks very good sounds good too, A39 is a smaller version.

I'd tempted by something that's a bit on the smoother/richer side like a Japanese amp. I honestly don't know if its worth spending a lot of money on an amp despite the LS50s beguiling mid focused sound, a pair of Adam Artist 5s sound more natural, accurate, play louder and are more dynamic.

Come on boys lets stay on track..I don't want active studio standmounts...I have a rather nice pair of Ls50's to deal with... Incidentally I should point out that the EAR 859's 13watts are doing a surprising job into 85db in a 20m2 listening space... but feel that running it up at 12 o clock position on vol pot is pushing a little too hard.

Looking for at least the same sq as I'm getting from the 859 but with something that has increased headroom and power

I'd tempted by something that's a bit on the smoother/richer side like a Japanese amp. I honestly don't know if its worth spending a lot of money on an amp despite the LS50s beguiling mid focused sound, a pair of Adam Artist 5s sound more natural, accurate, play louder and are more dynamic.

Like a Luxman you mean?..... forget the active studio monitors please

y
Like a Luxman you mean?..... forget the active studio monitors please

I dont know ive not heard the luxman with the LS50s, i know the 100w Sony amp i have is richer sounding than the other amps, it's got a switch for 4 ohms too which seems to help, it just works better than any of the other amps i have here with the LS50s.

I did think briefly of trying a more expensive integrated amp for the LS50s, but they just aren't dynamic enough for me so ive sort of shelved that idea.
A great little speaker though and i can understand why you want to try and get the best out of them. Just to put it into context i bought them to see how they compared to all the other smallish active monitors i'd tried, i wanted to hear for myself how modern passive two way compared, in a lot of ways they are so beguiling because of their mid-centric balance that's why they're still here and i've not sold them (yet).

y

I dont know ive not heard the luxman with the LS50s, i know the 100w Sony amp i have is richer sounding than the other amps, it's got a switch for 4 ohms too which seems to help, it just works better than any of the other amps i have here with the LS50s.

I did think briefly of trying a more expensive integrated amp for the LS50s, but they just aren't dynamic enough for me so ive sort of shelved that idea.
A great little speaker though and i can understand why you want to try and get the best out of them. Just to put it into context i bought them to see how they compared to all the other smallish active monitors i'd tried, i wanted to hear for myself how modern passive two way compared, in a lot of ways they are so beguiling because of their mid-centric balance that's why they're still here and i've not sold them (yet).

I also have Elac BS 244's and I prefer the ls50's

Shirley the best way to go about it is just buy an amp off from the classifieds and try it, compare and sell em if you don't like them at no loss.
This is part of the problem with separates, the grass is always greener, not that there is anything wrong with it, it's a good hobby! :)

advertisement

Back