advertisement

What’s your usual pharmacy like?

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
First off, our pharmacy, part of the GP surgery, struggles with staff. Today there was only one working there, used to be four I think. It’s a good surgery, well regarded.

But. When I turn up to collect a prescription, if I see a queue of one is already there, I’m filled with dread. Today there were four people in front of me, and nobody behind the counter for about five minutes. When they returned, their hands were empty. More questions for the bloke at the window wanting his one prescription. Another two minutes and he was sorted, gone.
The next victims were sorted quickly, then my turn. I gave my name, the appropriate draw was opened, nope, not in there. A minute or so later after some searching somewhere round the back, it was handed to me.
The community nurse behind me said she’s in there twice a day, with a tight schedule for her visits. Going to the pharmacy makes her late for the rest of the day.

Everyone is always polite, but I almost went all Alan Ford today (sweary):

Very good. From the initial call to the NHS to subscription pick-up can take as little as an hour. Plenty of staff as well, all willing to help and answer questions. Quite impressed.

my wife uses an online pharmacy for her medication- very reliable no queue no faff

Absolutely awful.
Even though they get the prescriptions direct from the GP, they never check to ensure availability. They never liaise with the GP to indicate prescribed items are unavailable. Despite signing up for their contact service, they never tell me in advance there is a problem. They wait until I am standing in front of them.

I’m afraid pharmacies which are attached to GPs are often dreadful; they have a captive audience really. Independent ones are usually much better.

We have a ‘Well’ one attached to our GP practice & they are terrible, alway pot luck as to whether your script will be ready.

Hospital pharmacies, probably the worst of the lot.

Local pharmacy superb .very friendly and helpful and yes they do get busy but they are a real treat .in there quite a bit

First off, our pharmacy, part of the GP surgery, struggles with staff. Today there was only one working there, used to be four I think. It’s a good surgery, well regarded.

But. When I turn up to collect a prescription, if I see a queue of one is already there, I’m filled with dread. Today there were four people in front of me, and nobody behind the counter for about five minutes. When they returned, their hands were empty. More questions for the bloke at the window wanting his one prescription. Another two minutes and he was sorted, gone.
The next victims were sorted quickly, then my turn. I gave my name, the appropriate draw was opened, nope, not in there. A minute or so later after some searching somewhere round the back, it was handed to me.
The community nurse behind me said she’s in there twice a day, with a tight schedule for her visits. Going to the pharmacy makes her late for the rest of the day.

Everyone is always polite, but I almost went all Alan Ford today (sweary):

Not sure if we use the same one Tony? No issues with the surgery pharmacy we use, order repeats on-line, pick up a couple of days later. The only thing is, when the lady goes to find my prescription she always looks on the shelf behind her, and it's never there. I tell her not to bother looking there, but she always does…

my wife uses an online pharmacy for her medication- very reliable no queue no faff
My local surgery has an affiliation with Lloyds Pharmacy. A few years ago my partner advised me to register with Lloyds-Direct who would arrange to have my meds delivered. When I'm at about 2 weeks supply they send an email reminder to reorder; I sign in, choose the meds I need (given the choice whether I wish to collect or have them delivered), and that's it. Takes about 3 to 4 days to be delivered by Royal Mail; a bit longer when ordering on Friday due to the surgery being closed over the weekend. They also keep me updated on delivery status.

@Tony Lockhart. Might be worth checking whether your surgery/pharmacy has this facility.

John

My local surgery has an affiliation with Lloyds Pharmacy. A few years ago my partner advised me to register with Lloyds-Direct who would arrange to have my meds delivered. When I'm at about 2 weeks supply they send an email reminder to reorder; I sign in, choose the meds I need (given the choice whether I wish to collect or have them delivered), and that's it. Takes about 3 to 4 days to be delivered by Royal Mail; a bit longer when ordering on Friday due to the surgery being closed over the weekend. They also keep me updated on delivery status.

@Tony Lockhart. Might be worth checking whether your surgery/pharmacy has this facility.

John
The thing is, I’m often there to collect an urgent prescription. This is an even worse experience!

Not sure if we use the same one Tony? No issues with the surgery pharmacy we use, order repeats on-line, pick up a couple of days later. The only thing is, when the lady goes to find my prescription she always looks on the shelf behind her, and it's never there. I tell her not to bother looking there, but she always does…
Sounds similar.
I was hoping that the refurb of the pharmacy would sort things once and for all, but if they can’t recruit the staff, and there’s an issue with sickness, they’re in a difficult position.

Two paharmacies local - I've only ever used the "worst" as it is nearer, and it is fine.

GP practise and the hangers-on there - very far from great. Viewed from the outside, they seem to see the greater NHS as the enemy, to be fought against - worse than shite attitude.

The hospital offered me two options for a blood test - drive into the hospital and get tested or get my GP to sort. OK, save hassle, use the local surgery............................... oh, a hospital test, that will be six weeks' time................................... The people runningthe surgery should be sacked, and that is probably the doctors.

Many pharmacies are part of chains.
These have to operate at a profit, similar to any retail outlet..
One of the charges made against a unit, before "the bottom line,"apart from the usual, occupancy, heat and light, wages etc.,
is "Interest on stocks."
The bean counters value the current stock holding and then calculate how much interest that money would earn if it were invested instead. This is charged as an "on cost" to the unit's balance sheet. The fact that if you didn't have any stock, you wouldn't have a naffin' business, means nothing to them. So the branches try to keep their stocks as low as possible.

This is why when I take my wife's prescription to the pharmacy, which is a regular occurrence, sometimes, I have to come back the following day for the balance of six naffin' tablets when they've had another delivery, as they can't give me the full amount. I've changed pharmacies twice, but it still happens.

Many pharmacies are part of chains.
These have to operate at a profit, similar to any retail outlet..
One of the charges made against a unit, before "the bottom line,"apart from the usual, occupancy, heat and light, wages etc.,
is "Interest on stocks."
The bean counters value the current stock holding and then calculate how much interest that money would earn if it were invested instead. This is charged as an "on cost" to the unit's balance sheet. The fact that if you didn't have any stock, you wouldn't have a naffin' business, means nothing to them. So the branches try to keep their stocks as low as possible.

This is why when I take my wife's prescription to the pharmacy, which is a regular occurrence, sometimes, I have to come back the following day for the balance of six naffin' tablets when they've had another delivery, as they can't give me the full amount. I've changed pharmacies twice, but it still happens.
Thankfully that has only affected us twice in over seven years.
It’s just the manning levels, and that is creating some very bad feeling.

Still. There are two more GPs than there were a year or so ago, so that’s good. And there’s a very good nurse practitioner too, who is almost a GP. A great service that contrasts so much with the pharmacy.

Never been tae a pharmacy. Up here we go tae a chemist…😎

The pharmacy will be at the back of the chemist's.

Both here are independant..
The one that I use, if you go in and ask for something POM and it isn't there, they search to make sure.

Thankfully that has only affected us twice in over seven years.
It’s just the manning levels, and that is creating some very bad feeling.

Still. There are two more GPs than there were a year or so ago, so that’s good. And there’s a very good nurse practitioner too, who is almost a GP. A great service that contrasts so much with the pharmacy.

Wage costs, are usually the highest percentage of the expenses of any retail or similar unit and the easiest to control.

Wage costs, are usually the highest percentage of the expenses of any retail or similar unit and the easiest to control.
No. They advertise frequently, and ask for our understanding. Sickness isn’t easy to control.
We were down to two GPs until a year or so ago, now at four.
Just the pharmacy has the problem, it seems.

advertisement

Back