advertisement

What’s the deal with vintage MM cartridges ???

I suspect the answer is JICO - @Tony L may be able to advise on options.
I’ve got their M55E Nude and it’s pretty good. Louder than a Shure original, closer to an M44E in that respect, so a but much in my system context, but it sounds very good. At present I’m keeping it as a spare whilst I wear out my original M55E styluses.

I fitted a conical JICO N44G IMP SD to my M44MB replacing a generic Japanese made elliptical stylus. It's marketed as being compatible with M44-7/G/C/E.

It actually sounded quite nice but it's tracking ability was significantly worse. Even with a bit of additional tracking force and experimenting with anti-skate it repeatedly skipped on records the generic stylus sailed through.

Surface noise on 'well loved' records was also a lot more noticeable.

I've noticed one or two scratch DJs on Instagram who have bought them to replace Shure N44-7s also reporting them skipping.

I've gone back to the cheapo generic stylus for now.

Did I just get a duffer or is this something to do with the construction of the stylus? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Reviving the thread to share a couple (random) videos from the Vinyl Translators YT channel. It's dedicated to (mostly vintage) phono cartridges, their videos have lots of information and comparisons.

advertisement

Back