advertisement

What’s happened to Sonneteer?……

JoeJoe

pfm Member
….more specifically, their integrated, the Orton?!….That amp was one of my landmark HiFi purchases and a peruse of their website suggests they are not the same outfit they used to be?
….This isn’t criticicism, just enquiry; can anyone enlighten me as to the status of the company? I last checked in on them a number of years ago and they seemed to be offering a full range of product, now it seems to be accessories…..

Really is, the Orton was a belter. Read reviews on the Alabaster that confirmed the same but never heard one. A sound signature reminiscent of LFD for me but slightly more romantic..

contacted haider at sonneteer to ask re amps and if still making . he replied in about 10 mins which is encouraging

this is his reply

Hi Phil,

Currently we are not. New designs are being developed. COVID times shook a lot of trees and quite a lot of what is on the older models is obsolete and redeveloping the old would have taken too long with minimal fruit.

Hopefully we will have some news soon.

Haider

being a fan of arcam and norma amps [got one here on demo right now ] i think their sound signature might be similar. would like to try one

I do very much hope they go back to making amps. The Alabaster and the Orton are both absolute jewels in their own different ways. The Alabaster is wonderfully vivid and involving, and the Orton beautifully refined - amazingly so for a solid state integrated.

I often wondered why they never made the Alabaster with a remote, and wondered if it was because they'd just get so many orders they couldn't handle it.

The Orton is still the best amp that I have had. Much thanks to Art K for recommending it and sending me to his local dealer who had one at the time.

I would have bought an Alabaster as well but for no remote. So I got a Belles Aria instead. I still give the edge to the Orton but the Belles conveniently has an onboard headphone amp, phono stage and remote.

I wanted to, and had expected to keep it forever, but now I am planning a move from USA to Asia which is 230 volts.
Haider suggested a step up transformer. I don't like the idea of more boxes. In fact the only downside for me of the Orton is that there is no built in headphone amp nor phono stage. I got the Sonneteer Sedley and Bard phonostage and a Heed headphone amp but the boxes add up. Then add a transformer and a DAC and it is getting to be a stack.

If I see a 230 volt Orton for sale I will buy it. I missed one listed here. Even in spite of no headphone amp, it is still my favorite amp.

I took Haider's recommendation for a good speaker match and got a pair of Penaudio Cenya. A friend was so impressed that he said that the Orton, Cenya was the best hifi he had ever heard. Well, we are in the boonies. I am now using the Cenya in the big room with the Belles Aria and they are great there. Testing my Rogers LS3/5a now with the Orton and they are improved over the BrioR.

At this moment I'm off the merry-go-round of upgrades with respect to both amplifiers and loudspeakers. I have the Sonneteer Orton alongside Naim 282/250DR and Luxman L-590AXII and all these amps will not be going anywhere. The Orton is currently unused and I have yet to match it with suitable speakers that will highlight its strengths and virtues. Looking at the responses on this thread, just like most here I believe the amp is a keeper.

Apart from the Penaudio Cenya, I have read about the great synergy between the Orton and Proac monitors. However, I have too many speakers at the moment and won't be getting any new gear in the near or distant future.

having had the norma 70b here recently , i would say that would be very similar to the sonneteer . its incredibly smooth but also very muscular . as you know a number have commented . its certainly one of the best amps pound for pound . and very suitable for anyone moving from valve amps . it even has a very decent metal remote . currently there are a few bargains around . some have a dac included

certainly it should 100% on someones amp demo list

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/norma-audio.263296/page-2#post-4634110

Hi, just noticed this s a lot of referrals to our website from this thread.
Firstly apologies for being under the radar of late.

A couple of years ago we had planned to come up with some new amps and a number of other little things cooking in the pot. COVID came and steered us a little in a different direction. There are a number of reasons for this, but a big one being is time and another big one was that a few of the suppliers of custom parts for the amps in particular had either gone under or were on very long lead times. Some electronics parts are also now obsolete. So since there are only two of us designing and I (Haider) spent a lot of the last year and a half helping with home schooling, new things were getting done very slowly. The baby phono stage and the Headspace were supposed to be only fun, interesting sideshows. Though they have become mainstayers in their own right. Thank you to all who have bought them so far.

Ok so saying that, the reference Orton and Alabaster amps still live. So so the designers. I also have the reference Alpha 7/8 and Alpha One for those who said Arcam amps sound similar. Well I had a hand (not sole hand) in some of them. Those who bought the 7SE CD player may regard the Bronte and Byron CD players as the more high end follow ups too.

Anyway, just keep this between us, but we have a few things cooking properly again. pecs have changed as times have too. So not everything will see the light of day.
Here is a mini list of some. I can't promise more than one, maybe two in the year. If time and luck allow then others will and maybe a surprise not mentioned.

in no particular order:
1. A two box amp based on original Campion/Alabaster/Orton circuits. Preamp may include digital elements.
2. Sedley 2 phonostage. A complete redesign but the heart of the original circuit still at the core. Might call it something else. Dunno.
3. Headphone amp/DAC for desktop PC. I work at home a lot now and I would find something like this handy.
4. A guitar amp. I'm first and foremost a guitarist outside of work and parenting. So if I only ever make one, it's for me. But it'll be good, because it's for me!
5. Might do some more headphonie stuff. Remo might not be keen, but my kids are.
6. Maybe a little digital amp to sit next to a PC? Does anyone remember the Bard3 or the Morpheus? The amps in there were not too bad were they?
7. Maybe we finally bring out the big high end amp we have had on the bench for a few years now? It would be so expensive though. It's one of the reasons we've been reluctant. We've always tried to bring hi end substance to a wider audience. Just the cost of making one of these big babies would be out of reach for most (including me!)
8. Totally a secret too is I have been dabbling with a headphone guitar amp belt clip-on thingy. Not got it quite right yet. But again, I want one and I don't like what can be bought. Sooo....

It's all a bt speculative I know so shhhhhhhh ;-)

Anyways. Just to let you know we are very much alive. A lot of new people must know about us now, but probably don't know our full history and probably think we make headphone gadgets. I am currently testing a batch of baby phono stages to ship to Japan next week. Am listening through an Alabaster.

I'll try be back more often.

Haider

That's good to hear. Never used or even heard any of your products, but equally I've only ever heard good things about Sonneteer, so good luck getting the show back on the road.

I know what that feels like after two years where any planning beyond lunchtime has proved virtually impossible.

I always fancied trying an Alabaster but never got round to it. I've not read a single bad thing about them.

And will this ever see the light of day?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Sonneteerhifi/status/994692425120698368

Maybe. It's just a very expensive option. A lot of the work that has gone into this will and has produced some less expensive product. The baby phono for example. The pre-amp is complex and very pricey. It was conceived as development board. But saying that you never know. Not out of the question.
Haider

Hi, just noticed this s a lot of referrals to our website from this thread.
Firstly apologies for being under the radar of late.

A couple of years ago we had planned to come up with some new amps and a number of other little things cooking in the pot. COVID came and steered us a little in a different direction. There are a number of reasons for this, but a big one being is time and another big one was that a few of the suppliers of custom parts for the amps in particular had either gone under or were on very long lead times. Some electronics parts are also now obsolete. So since there are only two of us designing and I (Haider) spent a lot of the last year and a half helping with home schooling, new things were getting done very slowly. The baby phono stage and the Headspace were supposed to be only fun, interesting sideshows. Though they have become mainstayers in their own right. Thank you to all who have bought them so far.

Ok so saying that, the reference Orton and Alabaster amps still live. So so the designers. I also have the reference Alpha 7/8 and Alpha One for those who said Arcam amps sound similar. Well I had a hand (not sole hand) in some of them. Those who bought the 7SE CD player may regard the Bronte and Byron CD players as the more high end follow ups too.

Anyway, just keep this between us, but we have a few things cooking properly again. pecs have changed as times have too. So not everything will see the light of day.
Here is a mini list of some. I can't promise more than one, maybe two in the year. If time and luck allow then others will and maybe a surprise not mentioned.

in no particular order:
1. A two box amp based on original Campion/Alabaster/Orton circuits. Preamp may include digital elements.
2. Sedley 2 phonostage. A complete redesign but the heart of the original circuit still at the core. Might call it something else. Dunno.
3. Headphone amp/DAC for desktop PC. I work at home a lot now and I would find something like this handy.
4. A guitar amp. I'm first and foremost a guitarist outside of work and parenting. So if I only ever make one, it's for me. But it'll be good, because it's for me!
5. Might do some more headphonie stuff. Remo might not be keen, but my kids are.
6. Maybe a little digital amp to sit next to a PC? Does anyone remember the Bard3 or the Morpheus? The amps in there were not too bad were they?
7. Maybe we finally bring out the big high end amp we have had on the bench for a few years now? It would be so expensive though. It's one of the reasons we've been reluctant. We've always tried to bring hi end substance to a wider audience. Just the cost of making one of these big babies would be out of reach for most (including me!)
8. Totally a secret too is I have been dabbling with a headphone guitar amp belt clip-on thingy. Not got it quite right yet. But again, I want one and I don't like what can be bought. Sooo....

It's all a bt speculative I know so shhhhhhhh ;-)

Anyways. Just to let you know we are very much alive. A lot of new people must know about us now, but probably don't know our full history and probably think we make headphone gadgets. I am currently testing a batch of baby phono stages to ship to Japan next week. Am listening through an Alabaster.

I'll try be back more often.

Haider
Thank you, Haider.

advertisement

Back