advertisement

Wharfedale E200i Speakers any good / New Drivers?

Witterings

Witterings
A friend has some old Wharfedale E200i's that his kids put dents in the cones when they were younger and the speakers now distort.

There's very little information available on them online, does anyone know if they were any good in their day and is worth trying to source some replacement drivers for them?
If so any idea what may be compatible and where to find them ..... or are they really just for for getting rid of?

As the label on the back says, they were made especially for Lasky’s. Knowing Wharfedale, they’ll be perfectly competent but I suspect they’ll be unremarkable.

I’d use it as a good excuse to upgrade, personally.

The question you want to ask yourself is, if these speakers were in full working order, would I want them?

Most Wharfdale speakers are ordinary at best with a lot of them being downright boring. Occasionally they made some interesting ones but not often. Unless you know what these ones are like when working and want that, I wouldn't bother.

Cheers guys .... He really liked them and then changed them for some smaller Dali's (should have looked to see what model) and he doesn't enjoy them as much.

My very 1st impression on seeing the Wharfedales, they're much larger than the Dalis and they were in a big room, I wonder if the Dalis were just a bit lost in there in comparison.

Certainly googling to find information, the lack of I thought maye they were just average in their range as they don't get much of a mention and probably not worth spending money on.

He's just moving into a smaller place which may suit the Dalis better so will see how he gets on but will advise it's probably not worth throwing money at.

Take the drivers out and see if there's a label on them. There's an even chance that the original manufacturers (as in the company that made the driver for Wharfedale) info is on the driver.

Given the name and the stated efficiency these seem to be OEM cousins of Wharfedale's E range. There seems to be more love for them now than there was at the time. There's also the story that in a blind group test the E70 was rated above the normal favourites. The results were then fiddled. Story towards the bottom of this page:

Take the drivers out and see if there's a label on them. There's an even chance that the original manufacturers (as in the company that made the driver for Wharfedale) info is on the driver.

Good idea and yes ... will do this!

Maybe a week or so though as he was in the middle of moving house.

Given the name and the stated efficiency these seem to be OEM cousins of Wharfedale's E range. There seems to be more love for them now than there was at the time. There's also the story that in a blind group test the E70 was rated above the normal favourites. The results were then fiddled. Story towards the bottom of this page:

That's Richard Lee, and it's true. I worked for him.

His Delta 30 speakers are great for the money, and probably after the Diamond version of that day, was the model most loaded onto vans by Andy, Mel and Joe in the warehouse.

Wharfedale made most of their own drivers. Some tweeters not.

Wharfedale certainly have made decent speakers back in the day.

However, these are not really worth the expense or effort. Maybe for an interesting project if doing your own work, but certainly not paying anyone.

Keep an eye on ebay as a better condition example may come up if your friend really likes them. Loads of current low budget choices though; I'd just move on, if it were me.

advertisement

Back