advertisement

Wharfedale Dovedale SP speakers

sideshowbob

Champagne fascia aficionado
Anyone know anything about these?

I'm on the hunt for a temporary pair of decent cheap speakers for my new house, and a local hifi emporium has a pair of Dovedale SPs in very nice condition for not much money at all. I'll be giving them a listen sometime next week but I know nowt about their history or componentry, and Google doesn't tell me an awful lot. They're a classically proportioned properly big standmount, they look interesting.

-- Ian

Ian, I'm sure i have some info/ads on these and will check in the morning.
I've just been out on a works piss-up and i'm far too pist to operate the scanner tonight :)

Here you go - 1976 Hi-Fi Choice review by Angus McKenzie.
I wouldn't if I were you Ian.

dov1.jpg

dov2.jpg

:)

Splendid, I don't think I'll bother to give them a listen. Thanks for the scans, very entertaining.

-- Ian

Hi
Tried a pair of Wharfdale Lintons recently with an AAAA5 and Nait3, they were absolutely dreadful.
Regards
Jim

Looks like the designer only had a T-square and a triangle at his disposal on the drawing table. I guess a French curve was an expensive extravegance back then.

hi can anyone tell me more about wharfedale dovedale speakers,as i have just bought a pair for £10.00, have i had a bargin.any info would be nice. thanks fairlop 40

Great price, good vintage 3 ways. AFAIK you can get them reconed if they are dead. Some had rubber foam mounts, if perished then they go woolly sounding and it's recone time. I put them up with Celestion Ditton 33s in sound quality terms. If yours are good you have a bargain, if they need a rebuild less so.

Dovedales are a bit like listening to GB. You keep waiting on something exciting to happen.......but it never does!

hi there, im a new member, can anyone give any info about a pair of wharfedale dovedale speakers i have purchased, for £10.00. do i need any special speaker cable ect. and are these speakers any good.

As you can see above most people don't think much to them, still for £10 if they work you can't go far wrong.

You definitely do not need any special cable, I would use QED 79 strand or mains flex of decent thickness.

FWIW I heard these a few years ago, thought they were OK. They won't frighten the best vintage speakers, but then nobody's selling Tannoy Lancs for a tenner.;)

You`re right Steve for a Tenner they could form part of a "relaxing" system.

Use em in a room for Aromatherapy Or Tantric Sex:D.

They may sound better than I remember with stands and a few tweaks.........and of course much improved source detail.

advertisement

Back