advertisement

Well, who would have thought...

aedagnino

pfm Member
I bought the other day Millie Jackson's Caught Up on Vinyl, just because I liked the cover (it cost me 50p)! I had no knowledge of her at all (which, I guess, pretty much brings down my soul credentials, as from what I've read on the net, she's a VERY important and popular soul artist), but I've been blown away by the record, I just can't get enough of it. I can't remember a record that's been so musical, theatrical and groovy at the same time. Her delivery is so heartfelt, especially in the first side, where she assumes the 'mistress' side of the story.
If you can, G.E.T. I.T. N.O.W.
Any thoughts?

Hi,

Millie jackson is a mighty fine singer. Alot of quality stuff has been made by her. Some very raunchy, some very funny but very soulful.

"Caught Up" is one of her best albums. A excellent choice. Also check out her debut called "Millie Jackson". Full of a range of quality songs with great singing. One of my favourites on this album is " My man is a sweet man". A great tune to dance to.

Dean

Yeah, I've seen that comparison made to Gladys Knight, and I agree. I'm just so glad I found her, sometimes you can get very disheartened thinking everything's been made over and over again, and then... you find a true original voice that reignites your passion once again!

yes agreed. Forgive me. Do not know how young you are but may i make a suggestion. check out some of Gladys knight earlier Motown work. Walk in my shoes + Friendship Train. She did the original I heard It through the grapevine. my particular Favourite is her version of End of our road a real up beat song shows how good she really is.

Midnight train to Georgia trivia I read She came in an did the vocal in one take somewhere.

Did you know thats Bob babbitt on the bass. Thats him to on Freda Payne Band of Gold. Plus all the Del Shannon hits Takes you back whoops.

Good Bob babbit site Great bass man on all those temptation records like Law of the land papa was a rolling stone And War of cource edwin star. Signed sealed Deliverd Stevie wonder. He replaced the main man of the bass at motown james jamerson much ealier than i realised.

http://www.bobbabbitt.com/

advertisement

Back