advertisement

Well Tempered turntable motor repair

Only from curiosity. Has anyone ever compared a Well Tempered Record Player to the newer models like the Amadeus or Simplex? And where should you classify the Classic or the Reference?
And what about the role of the motor: maybe the older motors are even more powerful and better, like adding an Armageddon to an LP12?

Only from curiosity. Has anyone ever compared a Well Tempered Record Player to the newer models like the Amadeus or Simplex? And where should you classify the Classic or the Reference?
And what about the role of the motor: maybe the older motors are even more powerful and better, like adding an Armageddon to an LP12?

Sometimes more powerful is less good.

Sometimes more powerful is less good.

I always thought the feeble motor on my Spacedeck was a good idea. I start the heavy platter turning and the motor just maintains that with no heavy-breathing electrical fields to play with the cartridge or it’s leads.

I always thought the feeble motor on my Spacedeck was a good idea. I start the heavy platter turning and the motor just maintains that with no heavy-breathing electrical fields to play with the cartridge or it’s leads.

An under-rated great British turntable maker. I would like to add one to my collection.

Am very interested
I've just had a quick listen for the first time to my Amadeus sporting a 10.5 inch Blackbird. Absolute bliss. Bass notes and cadences stay perfectly in tune in a way not common on many other belt drive decks. This is going to be a killer combination.

Interesting indeed.
How might the change/difference/improvement from the WT tonearm be characterized?

Am very interested

Interesting indeed.
How might the change/difference/improvement from the WT tonearm be characterized?

For fear of breaking forum rules I've replied to this in a private message. Public conversation on this discursion should take place on the thread about my tone-arms.

In order to expose the motor (for oiling or in order to rotate it etc) do you go in from the top or from the underside?

Hi

The sticky pad on my versalex is more tacky than sticky, so you can reuse it easily.

I think the easiest way to oil is just slide the pulley off, it’s just an interference fit so should slide up.

If you need to turn the motor, then you can loosen the metal plate.

one other thing is if you have motor noise, you can maybe reduce it by slightly loosening the bolts on the plate holding the motor.

Cheers

Chris

Hi

The sticky pad on my versalex is more tacky than sticky, so you can reuse it easily.

I think the easiest way to oil is just slide the pulley off, it’s just an interference fit so should slide up.

If you need to turn the motor, then you can loosen the metal plate.

one other thing is if you have motor noise, you can maybe reduce it by slightly loosening the bolts on the plate holding the motor.

Cheers

Chris
Perfect, thanks. John (Pear Audio) is very helpful too. He said not to overtighten the plate bolts too.

advertisement

Back