advertisement

(Well Tempered) Tonearms?

Longer arms reduce tracking error but have higher effective mass and lower arm resonant frequency.
That is about it.
IMO one of the best arms ever.

I have a GTA and my mate has the Versalex. His certainly looks more ‘furniture’, especially now he’s had a bespoke cover made. My GTA is post-industrial chic and I still use the fold-up cardboard cover that came with it.
What we’d both agree on is that the stripped back design seems to allow through the quality and sound of a cartridge seemingly incongruous to the value of the t/table. I use a Koetsu Rosewood Sig and he uses a Proteus, both getting the ride of their life (as it claims in the advertising blurb).

Is the Amadeus better than the Versalex or the other way around? I'm struggling to find info online re the hierarchy and reviews....

As I understand it there is not much difference in sonic qualities but I suspect the Versalex is cheaper to make as it seems to be a slab of ply with veneer on top. The Amadeus is a machined (I assume) chunk of aluminum bonded to a sheet of perspex. The top plate of the Amadeus is cut so that some of the platter is concealed within the top section; on the Versalex you see the entire platter. Both turntables seem to allow you to get a great deal out of whatever cartridge you use with them.

Thanks, no cover and that is the problem with the table design. Looks good but as the table is the same size as the plinth a cover has nowhere to stand. Not the cleanest of houses but it dusts easy and you could run the mat under the tap if you wanted.
My gunk never seems to get dirty and that is with 3 years of living with a German shepherd.
You really have to let go of the hobby thing with WT All you can do is wait for the cartridge to wear out, which is doesn’t do very fast due to the arm design.

i've given some thought to the cover thing and decided the best solution would be a wall mounted hinge .. no mechnical contact with the table but will protect it during use - alternately one could cover it with plastic wrap to keep the dust off when not in use - wouldn't be pretty but it would work

Very nice set-up. Nice framed prints too. Do you use a cover for your deck?

you're not having 'acoustical issues' with the TT in that corner niche?? bad vibes like to hang out in the corners typically - have you tried other locations in the room?

you're not having 'acoustical issues' with the TT in that corner niche?? bad vibes like to hang out in the corners typically - have you tried other locations in the room?

No and yes I really should have a faf. It is there cos the floor is solid whereas the rest is suspended above a 2 foot void. In my Linn LP12/Naim madness years I spent tens of thousands failing to get it to work. It would be funny if the answer was moving the location of the turntable!

well FLOOR structure is just one tiny aspect ... personally i'd rather WALL mount in the best sounding location - I would be pretty skeptical about the possibility of the corner being the best sounding spot - since the corners of the room tend to collect all the really nasty energy in a room (not talking psychic energy here :p )

If WT came up with a cover they’d sell a lot more tables, a lift off one would be enough but it needs to locate onto the deck given the size of it.

Talking of size, Pear Audio have a Royale 400 they’re floating round their dealers, it rather puts the Versalex in the shade

I’ve heard this a couple of times when it visited a Reading dealers, 400 is the length of the arm in mm, it looks very vulnerable to me but that would need one hell of a cover.

On mine you tease the belt on to a smaller drive pulley. I did it once to play some old singles but haven’t bothered since.

The WT Royale is quite the deck, but I am not sure it is worth the extra 60% more or so than an Amadeus GT, and then adding extra cost for the WT stand for it, wow. But, it is a wonderful sounding deck, a freaking heavy one too.

Depends on your choice of RCA plugs, cable stiffness and siting. Mine’s on a wall shelf so I use 90° RCAs. I bought them on eBay and had them delivered to Flashback where Dave made me a bespoke 0.5m cable to the phono stage.

Depends on your choice of RCA plugs, cable stiffness and siting. Mine’s on a wall shelf so I use 90° RCAs. I bought them on eBay and had them delivered to Flashback where Dave made me a bespoke 0.5m cable to the phono stage.

Thank you.

A silly question but…Do you need interconnects or a Tonearm cable coming from the LTD Well Tempered arm?

I'm planning a demo in a few weeks. Just waiting for the dealer to get the Trilogy 906 back in stock.

There are RCA sockets on the rear edge of the plinth. They carry the signal from the arm cable so unbalanced interconnect required between deck and (phono) amp.

There are RCA sockets on the rear edge of the plinth. They carry the signal from the arm cable so unbalanced interconnect required between deck and (phono) amp.

Great thank you for the clarification.

I know I’m putting the ’cart before the horse’ but what interconnects do people use with their WT decks? Nothing like being prepared.

Great thank you for the clarification.

I know I’m putting the ’cart before the horse’ but what interconnects do people use with their WT decks? Nothing like being prepared.

Nothing special here, just some van damme cable with RCA plugs. The 90 degree plugs help at the rear of the deck if space is a problem, i.e. a wall shelf, as mjw said...

advertisement

Back