advertisement

[FS] Well Tempered Amadeus GTA

gavreid

Pretty Words...

Lightly used because I was first working all hours and then unwell. One of the original models bought brand new and boxed from TomTomAudio in St Albans in 2010. I think it was around £3k at the time. The build quality of the plinth is much enhanced over the Simplex, certainly. The newer version MKII had the dressed up arm and sold for considerably more for essentially the same deck! I was shocked to see that the current Amadeus with the double plywood plinth sells for £7k.

52891579088_8aca7132f0_c.jpg

I'm looking for £1k without a cartridge - all in posted to the UK to an established member- but I want to keep the wall shelf. I've got all the packaging and the candy that comes with it i.e. strobe disk and stobe light, tracking force scales (even the white cotton gloves) but I only have the heavier counterweight. Importantly, I have the instruction manual that was supplied with it. It's pictured above with the original box and I'd feel pretty secure sending it by courier. Price includes the Audio Technica end of side lift, with is very helpful for lifting the arm from the record. I will also provide a spare motor. You can't get damage insurance for turntables, only for loss! It has the simple cardboard cover. Bonus for collection (Yorkshire) - you get a perspex cover thrown in.

I can't guarantee that you won't break or stretch the belt but instructions for making a new one are here. You could probably blag some from Pear Audio too! The deck was fully working and the speed stable when I disconnected it a fortnight ago. I've fitted new red dot, squash ball 'feet' and added a drop of light mineral oil to the motor for sale.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks! While everyone wants a bargain I believe/hope that I've priced this to sell rather than to sit here for weeks on end 🤞 I really is a great deck and that arm can carry a pretty serious cartridge, but I just received a lovely Planar 10!

Does this have the 10.5" arm like the Versalex or did that come later ?

thanks
I think so. The manual does not include the specs presumably as the models were evolving quite rapidly at the time. I don't know how to measure it accurately but a tape seems to suggest that.

Beautiful turntable and a great price :)
Forgive me, can I ask what wall shelf / glass shelf that is please? - looks very classy...
That's decentaudio but I think it's been discontinued or perhaps they do a lighter version without the top level? It's acrylic and steel, rather than glass, so if they did I'm sure you could get a top deck knocked up easily enough. They're just on cork/rubber spacers.

I’ve got the same shelf (without the heavy Perspex extra shelf). They’re good, long discontinued though.

Same bearing, the Amadeus GTA though has a reputation for being a little more refined overall that the Simplex. Also looks better (to taste).

Same bearing, the Amadeus GTA though has a reputation for being a little more refined overall that the Simplex. Also looks better (to taste).
Did the newer Simplex adopt the Amadeus bearing? Maybe I'm getting confused, I can't rely on my memory from that time.

Pass! There was something different that came in, my Mk1 simplex has a triangle cutout visible from the top of the bearing and I think newer ones have a cap. Could be that’s the Amadeus bearing?

There’s a difference with how the golf ball is mounted on the Amadeus as well, the mount is better.

The Simplex was exactly that, all the good well tempered ideas but cut to their simplest possible form while preserving the performance as much as could be with a lower price tag.

An Amadeus will be better no question, and at that price especially boxed a no brainer to anyone looking for a WT deck.

Again if the buyer needs silicon goop or a spare light weight, Pear audio will assist with spares. Spares are not at all expensive.

advertisement

Back