advertisement

Weird mellow version of Paranoid?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi folks.

At a comedy gig we went to last night, just before the gig they were playing some sounds and what appeared to be a mellow version of "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. This was followed by other, equally bizarre cover versions - including "Light my Fire", "Bohemian Rhapsody" (done in a kind of dub), etc.

Was this some compilation somebody had made or does anyone know if it's available to buy?

Just curious, y'ken?

jtc

At a comedy gig we went to last night, just before the gig they were playing some sounds and what appeared to be a mellow version of "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. This was followed by other, equally bizarre cover versions - including "Light my Fire", "Bohemian Rhapsody" (done in a kind of dub), etc.

I have a cover of Paranoid but can't remember the band - will check tonight.

Not a patch on the original though ;)

I'm quite partial to this bunch though, who do stuff as varied as Nirvana to Aphex Twin, in a Jazz stylee.

The Bad Plus Live (1)

The Bad Plus Live (2)

By mellow do you mean performed in a lounge style?

If you just mean relaxed it might have been The Cardigans, who've previously covered Black Sabbath songs in their own languid folk rock style.

I saw some puppets doing Bohemian Rhapsody in Basingstoke town centre a couple of months ago.
I also had an MP3 version of Paranoid by a nu-metal band with a female singer. Unfortunately my HD failed a while ago so I lost it...

I don't know who it was but I'm fairly sure it wasn't the Cardigans. I mean, it was too *dark* to be them. Surely not. Can't be. Must've been someone else...

jtc

Then of course there is always the Dickies version on milky clear vinyl (original) or Crystal clear vinyl (later re-issue). I believe the 'B' side was; You drive me ape, (you big gorilla).

Happy days...

There is a really good version Hendrix's Purple Haze on Shamisen (three-stringed Japanese lute) that I am still trying to track down. Heard it a couple of times of TV....
Nissan have been running ads that use covers of "We will rock you", Queen's old warhorse.
The original cover version was sung by Asian Jazz Chanteuse Keiko Lee (most famous for her amazingly pert derriere ;) ) over a soft electronica background. Surprisingly effective I ahve to admit.
Currently there is a version of the same song sung by Macy Gray! Which is actually works less well than Keiko's version! Strange that as I have all Ms. Grey's albums and no Keiko Lee...
There is also an old tradition in Brazilian MPB, going back to at least Sergio Mendes' "Fool on the Hill", of covering Beatles classics in a Tropicalia stylee. Somtimes it works, as on the latest Joyce album...

Hi
Sounds like it could be Dread Zeppelin who cover quite a lot of bands as well as Led Zep.
Regards
Jim

advertisement

Back