advertisement

Weedkiller for bamboo - recommendations .

Good grief! We have two clumps of the stuff I hadn't realised we had an insurgency. Perhaps the Cumbrian weather is keeping them in check on the other hand they may be just keeping their powder dry until it is time to strike.

Not all bamboos are invasive, I think the taller ones tend to be more of a problem

It was a favourite of the IRA at one time. I think I heard that the manufacturers were forced to make a different allotrope (crystalline form) that wasn't so explosive.

I thought there was a two fold thrust to stop it. One - Sodium Chlorate was not available over the counter. And Two, Sodium Chlorate had to be sold including an additive that prevented it from being an explosive.

Excellent. Can you give me a reference to some of that research and reading please?

I know it's systemic but I don't know how far it travels from leaf through a network of rhizometous roots, and how much it becomes diluted on the journey
Sure. Look up "shikimic acid pathway" for a start and I'll look up some specifics. Like cyanide it only blocks one chemical step but once it's stopped that's it. There's no way round, you turn blue and it's over. As to how far, how fast, well how long is a piece of string? A big root system will stand up for longer than a leafy plant, and it's dose dependant. Obviously one molecule won't kill a whole plant any more than one molecule of cyanide will kill me. Things like jap kw, with a corm and substantial reserves, will tough it out more than something that's all leaf. It's species depend ent, broad leaf plants are less resistant than grasses. However once in the plant in sufficient quantity it will kill it. It is transported in sap. That's why it takes 3-4weeks.

Christ yes. And the effects of trace levels on everything you can think of and a few things that you can't. Have you any idea how much has been spent by Monsanto's competitors to discredit the biggest seller? There's a vested interest if ever I saw one. 45 years, from every regulatory authority in the world. Now OK, if there's a concern then it should be looked at, but let's look at it in the round of 45 years of work, not just jump on one result that you like.

Not just one; the world World health organisation has said it's a probable carcinogen, there have been numerous studies linking it to non Hodgkin's lymphoma, and possible links to celiac disease.

Some of the independent research is dubious at best, including studies used for EPA approval.
“hard to believe the scientific integrity of the studies when they said they took specimens of the uterus from male rabbits,”
https://www.courthousenews.com/monsanto-accused-of-fraudulent-data-in-roundup-cancer-trial/

Since the received wisdom was that it degrades too fast to enter the food system, I'm surprised there's loads of research done there. I haven't come across any longitudinal studies which I imagine would be required to confirm that sort of link, which is why I said it was early days.

Like you say though, everyone believes what they want to believe and lives their own life.
I avoid digesting the stuff as much as I can .

Last edited:
Sure. Look up "shikimic acid pathway" for a start and I'll look up some specifics. Like cyanide it only blocks one chemical step but once it's stopped that's it. There's no way round, you turn blue and it's over. As to how far, how fast, well how long is a piece of string? A big root system will stand up for longer than a leafy plant, and it's dose dependant. Obviously one molecule won't kill a whole plant any more than one molecule of cyanide will kill me. Things like jap kw, with a corm and substantial reserves, will tough it out more than something that's all leaf. It's species depend ent, broad leaf plants are less resistant than grasses. However once in the plant in sufficient quantity it will kill it. It is transported in sap. That's why it takes 3-4weeks.

I don't know if there are plants with which have naturally evolved a genetic resistance to it, clearly there are plants which have been engineered to thrive on it.

My thought it that it just won't travel far enough, in a dose strong enough, to effect plants which are connected by the root system but which are far away from the application site. But yes, it will kill it if enough can get into it!

One thing it practically won't work on is plants with leaves so small that you just can't apply it. Things like Muehlenbeckia complexa.

Monsanto have certainly created a considerable degree of emnity by seeking to develop GM crops to be resistant to glyphosate.

advertisement

Back