advertisement

Website developer recommendations

if you can do it yourself, that is the best option. if you really don't have time and can spend a bit of money, i have an associate who is very, very good -- send me a PM if interested.

Curious to know how you know this.
Yeah, no disrespect to any consultant, well not this one anyway. But so many seem to claim to have the key to the google secrets.

As said before, SEO is something I want to address, but it is always at the bottom of the list of things to do when other traffic / conversion tactics are also in the pile of things to do.

Yeah, no disrespect to any consultant, well not this one anyway. But so many seem to claim to have the key to the google secrets.

Which is particularly odd given that IIRC *Google* claim they can't really understand exactly how their ranking software works in detail because of its 'AI' aspects. Mind you, that could be a 'plausible deniability' ploy. After all, if they did explain it in detail I'd expect some commercial organisations would promptly sue them for 'unfairly' putting them lower down the rankings than they should. So some smoke and mirrors may be useful cover.

I can't tell as I use DuckDuckGo anyway. :)

By co-incidence I just got this classic example of the spams. I wonder how many people will be impressed by a (nominally) 'pro' commercial proposal with such a wording. The main thing that struck me was that they seem to have even more problems with their 'english' than I do! 8-]

Quote starts:

*Hello Audiomisc.Co.Uk Team,*

I am writing with hopes of finding the appropriate person who handles
advertising and promotional work. I just want to inform you some of the
reasons why your website is not getting enough visitors who might turn
to be your potential customers/clients? I think this information will be
helpful to you.

Myself*Katie Mcgrath*, digital expert of a leading digital service
provider company. As per my analysis, your website is not performing
well in the Google search engine. Also, your website traffic is very
much less since last couple of months due to the Google algorithm
up-gradations. I am writing down some of the points below.

# There are many bad back links to your website, this needs to be
evaluated on timely manner.

# There are many on-page and on-site validation issues present in your
website.

# The Mobile responsive feature is very much required to access the
website from any devices.

# Low online presence for many competitive keyword phrases.

If my proposal sound's interesting for your website performance, feel
free to email me, or can provide me your Skype id, phone number and the
best time for a discussion. I am also available for an online meeting to
present you this website audit report.

I look forward to hearing from you - thanks!

*Kind Regards,*

*Katie Mcgrath*

*Business Analyst {51}*

Curious to know how you know this.

A big part of my job is managing Google Tag Manager (to push a variety of tracking tags) & setting up Google Analytics accounts. There is no correlation between setting up GA and any measurable increase in Google rankings or traffic.

My wife runs a couple of small businesses and we would like to set up two websites to promote them. One of them is a small retail business, the other is a consultancy,
No experience with retail websites but small consultancy sites are often suitable for being simple efficient static websites rather than complicated dynamic CMS websites. The former involves editing a set of html/css/js files on a local PC and when happy with how they look locally pressing the copy button to send them to the remote site. Jim's website sounds like an example.

A big part of my job is managing Google Tag Manager (to push a variety of tracking tags) & setting up Google Analytics accounts. There is no correlation between setting up GA and any measurable increase in Google rankings or traffic.

You haven't explained how what you label as part of your job enables you to determine the results for all of the sites/pages Google will rank. Are you saying you work for Google and have all the required inside information on their entire process and data set? if not, what faction of all Google accounts and tracking do you have reliable data for? u.e. if you don't have *all* the info: How do know what you see is staistically reliable for the rest?

You haven't explained how what you label as part of your job enables you to determine the results for all of the sites/pages Google will rank. Are you saying you work for Google and have all the required inside information on their entire process and data set? if not, what faction of all Google accounts and tracking do you have reliable data for? u.e. if you don't have *all* the info: How do know what you see is staistically reliable for the rest?

I have access to vast datasets containing hundreds of millions of Google rankings across multiple regional markets, which tracks on a daily basis. This allows me to compare any visible domain on a like-for-like basis. If Google Analytics helped with SEO, these datasets would pick it up. However, in all of my years of setting up and adminstrating GA, I have never seen ranking changes as a result.

However, there are many site changes that I’ve made, such as keyword mapping, opening out previously non-indexed pages, dynamically optimising e-commerce pages, which clearly correlate with increased visIbility scores across these 3rd party datasets, and traffic growth via on-site analytics.

I have access to vast datasets containing hundreds of millions of Google rankings across multiple regional markets, which tracks on a daily basis. This allows me to compare any visible domain on a like-for-like basis. If Google Analytics helped with SEO, these datasets would pick it up. However, in all of my years of setting up and adminstrating GA, I have never seen ranking changes as a result.

That's interesting and makes what you claimed plausible. But it doesn't actually answer my questions. e.g. "vast" isn't an actual figure for a fraction it comprises of the total Google has, etc. So the possibility remains that your conclusion isn't correct, even though you believe it is.

How do you compare the Google results with sites that don't use their analytics? I'm not sure how you gather equivalent data on all of them. if you use data from Google, how do you know it is reliable for this purpose, given that it will be for sites/pages that don't use their analytics?

Also, how do you reliable untangle effects of adopting GA from other changes then made to sites with the aim of lifting the ranking? if the point of both is to lift 'visibility' (and other jargon terms) can these be easily untangled?

FWIW I just use simple methods like analyse 'awstats' records for my own sites. But so far as I know, only myself and my ISP have access to these. So I assume Google would have to use some other method.

advertisement

Back