advertisement

Website dedicated to legacy separates

I don't think this is their earliest stuff before they ventured into loudspeakers, they used to be featured a lot in Gramophone, I think they thought of themselves as the new Quad at the time...

I don't think this is their earliest stuff before they ventured into loudspeakers, they used to be featured a lot in Gramophone, I think they thought of themselves as the new Quad at the time...

I was very good friends of Quad, but we were very different. Ours was a much more purist approach, hence 30dB less distortion. We used reed relays, motorised Pots, discrete transistors etc. We were everything you got in Levinson for a fraction of the price.

The first Neutrons appeared in '94, a couple of years after we'd bought a load of B&K.

Ash

I was very good friends of Quad, but we were very different.

Ah, but this was before your involvement in AVI when, I presume, it was just Martin, it was a sort of midi system in looks, separates but stacked. Gramophone seemed particularly fond of Quad and AVI at the time...

I bought half in '93 and left ATC in '95, having been involved since '91. At the time AVI was the best amp for ATCs by miles.

AVI was founded on multi room in '89, I think it inspired Linn, but was too early for the market, so I suggested everything be midi sized and hi fi instead. Then it really took off and flew till '97, when a hopeless Philips CD mech and a collapse in the hi fi market nearly finished us and did a few others.

Ash

No mention of that behemoth S2000 stereo power amp that's currently bowing the floorboards in my lounge and still sounding great.

I also have the S2000MC CD player, the one with *that* Phillips CDM9, it's a good player. The DACs in particular are lovely.

I bought half in '93 and left ATC in '95, having been involved since '91.

Yes, this would have preceded your time at AVI. This was in the eighties, I think before AVI even made CD players, just amplifiers. If I remember correctly Gramophone used to pair them up with ATC,Quad, LS3a's or Harbeth. I can't remember if it was Ivor Humphreys or Geoffrey Horn who was the AVI fan...

I think the earliest stuff was full-width.

I wonder if there are any photos or spec to be uploaded on that?

Yes, this would have preceded your time at AVI. This was in the eighties, I think before AVI even made CD players, just amplifiers. If I remember correctly Gramophone used to pair them up with ATC,Quad, LS3a's or Harbeth. I can't remember if it was Ivor Humphreys or Geoffrey Horn who was the AVI fan...

The whole Gramophone team were very keen on us, the tests were done at Geoffrey Horn's house because he had a proper Lab for measuring etc. Ours was the best at the time (it's still better than most now!) and had the sound quality to match it. We were revolutionary then.

Mostly they used Geoffrey's own loudspeakers occasionally Ivor's Quads and often B&W 802s.

Never LS3/5A's because no one on the team liked the phase issues and anyway, they didn't need the extra power and current. We always use four output devices where everyone else used two and sometimes overran them. They did review the Neutrons and gave them a number of awards, as did Hi Fi Choice and even What Hi Fi.

I don't believe Gramophone reviewed AVI till I took over that side of things. Hi Fi News reviewed the big power amp and we'll put that up shortly.

It all seems so long ago now!

Ash

Bob, once you've registered, though the whole thing's a little clunky and slow, it's easy enough to find stuff using the Advanced Search as it lets you narrow the search by date, etc.

From Gramophone, July 1965, Percy Wilson reports on the third 401 off the production line. Technical Reports: Garrard 401 Transcription Turntable. Price: £32 lOs. Od.

It's obvious he prefers the styling of his 301 to the newcomer: "In particular, I don't care for the shape of the knobs which I do not find any too comfortable to operate." !

What a surprise, no doubt there's a relaunch just waiting in the wings.

Not a chance! We've got more orders than we've had for years! We'd never go back now.

We don't think there is any future in Hi Fi companies making source components now, when any computer is more suitable and an M-Audio Transit DAC is almost as good as you can buy for £50! All any Legacy company can do is make speakers or amps and ours is a better idea.

The only reason we did a Legacy Section is because the second hand market is bigger than it has ever been, it attracts a completely difference customer and they like to find out about the old stuff. Also lots of new customers have no idea of our past.

Ash

Hi-There!

Just in case you are old and stupid (and let's face it - you are if you read Gramophone Daddy-O) we'd like to point out that this INFOmercial is designed to make you think anything that isn't a dac and amplifier in a small loudspeaker is legacy - which means old and slow like you Gramps!

(OK, we're misusing the term legacy, in the same way vanilla is also misused - and we clearly don't know what it really means - but it sounds kinda old, weak and lame, so that's OK)

Of course - if you get a dac and amp in a speaker box (a box so small it's incapable of reproducing realistic scale) you'll suddenly be young hip and cool again. Like the kidz, innit.

HONEST!

(I should know - I've virally marketed penis extension kits for years. So I can tell you all about high end audio. Trust me.)

dac in a box (tm) - it's finger sucking good!

The MarKetinG Co Ltd.

[Disclaimer: If some leggy blondes do not fall at you feet and unzip your flies immediately you purchase dac-in-a-box, they are defective - not your new product!]

advertisement

Back