advertisement

Weather seal

Weather resistance allows your system to cope with damp conditions better than a non- weather resistant one. This doesn't mean that the camera is waterproof. They will cope with the odd splash but not immersion. The various ports and controls will have seals such as o-rings to try to prevent water ingress.

A non water resistant camera system may allow water to enter past controls etc by capillary action. In light rain you might be okay keeping the camera under cover and drying it with a towel but there is always a risk of damage. Heavy rain would be a no-no.

Remember the lens and camera both need to be sealed to gain the benefits. When I took my weather resistant 12-35 and 35-100 Lumix lenses to Shetland my body was the in sealed G6, as this was a once in a lifetime trip I cut the bottom out a plastic bag fixing it over the lens with a rubber band covering the body to give it some protection. I got away with it during moderate rain.

I have since upgraded to a G80 to give me sealed system.

As far as i'm aware, even the weather sealed cameras and lenses don't really offer any guarantee against water ingress, more, that they are designed with an attempt to not making them soak it up like a piece of blotting paper. My canon 1ds with suitable lenses has been out in torrential rain and got great shots, and the trick is really to use a suitable lens hood and try and keep rain off the front lens element.

I've also shot film cameras in the rain, but try and keep to mechanical ones, as they will be less likely to be bothered by a bit of rain getting places that the designer wasn't thinking about (for example, i've taken lots of photos in the alps in winter out and about with a hasselblad).

So basically, if you want to be out in wet weather with a camera, take it in a bag that will keep the wet off of it, and have it out as little as possible, and you can use just about any camera. If you want to shoot a football match in the rain, a weather sealed camera is your friend.

Thank you. I recently went to shoot in snow and i realised that if my canon camera and lens were not weather sealed then i could have gotten into trouble. Many Zeiss lens are not sealed even with high prices. Makes you think twice really

advertisement

Back