advertisement

Wav to Flac With Dbpoweramp

Stemcor

I should be listening to music
I ripped a lot of iles to wav. Now I have a vortexbox and cannot get it to play wav files. Looks like I need to convert them to flac.

The question is how do I do it as the ripper is solely for cds and I cannot find anything to allow me to make the conversion. I have the full dbp package.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Thanks Killer. Sounds great but I need somebody to hold my hand and show me how to do it !

dbPoweramp has another app, the 'music converter'. I think there are two options, one of which will do loads of conversions in a batch which is the one you want. It should be installed alongside the CD ripper.

Paul

Run dBPoweramp batch converter (not the converter which is for the odd file, you want the Batch Convertor)
A window comes up in which you need to navigate to and select all your music
Click the Convert icon at the top
Click FLAC in the Converting To box
Leave Encoding at level 5
Select an output location - probably "Music" but somewhere different from your original files
Click convert

There are lots of other possibilities for renaming folders etc, but this should gt you going
just pick one cd to start with so you can make sure you get it all right

Apologies if this is stating the obvious to you, please make sure your tagging is working as you want it before converting large numbers of files....

At windows start-up/program menu, find dbpoweramp, click on the folder and you'll see an option for batchconverter. select it. You'll come to a screen that has your computer, music, documents folders etc listed to the left of your screen. If your music is on your music folder (logic say it is :)), simply click in box next to Music' till you see two small folders appear in it. Now go to the top ribbon and click in the icon where is say 'Convert'. You'll see a window come up with with the options for conversion. Simply select FLAC as the encoder you require to convert too and in 'DSP options' select replace WAV with FLAC and send WAV to 'recycle bin' and store FLACs in same source file structure.

It may sound complicated but once you've done it, its something you'll find very easy/intuitive.

And just for safety/computer numpties, make a small copy of a few on a USB stick to practice with if confidence with such things is a little low. :)

First make a complete backup of your music library.
As already mentionned, you can make it with few click using dbpoweramp batch converter.

Convert your backup copy using option "dsp effects - erase original files" and as a goal choose original folder. In this way all your files will be converted, original files will be deleteded and the library structure will be unchanged.

I converted my whole library from flac to wav in this way, because IMHO playing waves sounds very little beter and hd space today is so cheap.

Maybe the decompresiion process flac-wav is causing some load and it causes more irregular data stream and more jitter appear, i don't know, i tested it many times, and for me wav sounds always better than flac.

Many thanks for all of the replies.

I managed to convert a test file form wav to flac using the dbpoweramp converter but the converter does not place the album picture (tag ?) in the new flac file.

It might be time to make a full backup of the files and then go for the batch conversion as Killer suggested.

I am going to be busy for a few days but will report back when the conversion has been completed. Hopefully this will also be of use to other fishes.

Regards

advertisement

Back