advertisement

warranty issues, can anyone help?

sundaywu1992

pfm Member
hello,

I've bought a cd player (pre-owned) from a dealer with warranty, then I brought it to a friend place as he'd like to give it a try. I left the cdp there and went back for my own stuff..just one night, I got my friend's call saying the cd player has DC output.

The dealer says the warranty does not cover this cd player because it wasn't me who damaged the cd player..

The cd player was with me for a day, with my friend for a night and now I'm not covered by the warranty..

I don't feel any good about this, but can anyone tell me if this is the way it is?

Well who's saying anybody damaged it?
How on earth would a user cause the player to output dc without lifting the lid and modding it?

The dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you, where are you? Where ever you are I'd fight it, get the local trading standard involved.

Politely ask him to reconsider. If he doesn't want to listen, quote the sale of goods act 1979 and explain that this covers your item under warranty and that it is not fit for purpose.
If that doesn't work, contact your local council trading standards office and they should be able to help.

No warranty can stipulate who uses the kit and which house it is used in.

As long as it has been used in conjunction with the manufacturers guidelines the dealer must honour the warranty.

FWIW, that's one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard: by that logic, no gift is covered by any warranty.

As mentioned above, quote law at the dealer - and don't go back there!

Chris

Absolutely agree. The warranty is for the player, not the house it is used in or the person who is using it. If it does not work then it is not fit for purpose and one day is well within a reasonable time! I have found the threat of trading standards to be very helpful with these sorts of issues.

Is there any chance you can let us know who this dealer is, so we can be sure to not use his services?

huge thanks for all your comments..

I think we've sorted it out..this case is a bit complicated and reason of the damage occurs remains mistery, I just picked up the warranty part to see if I misunderstood the idea of warranty.

anyway the dealer agreed to give me full refund today as he said his reputation of being a honest dealer worth more than a small amount of money, and I certainly appreciate that.

thank you guys again.

your warranty isnt with the dealer its with the manufacturer.

a full refund wasnt required , merely a satisfactory warranty repair!

something strange here.

your warranty isnt with the dealer its with the manufacturer.

a full refund wasnt required , merely a satisfactory warranty repair!

something strange here.

in case it's a pre-owned unit, the warranty is from the dealer.

in case it's an old model and cannot be repaired nor replaced, the only option is to have the refund...I honestly like that unit and wish it to be repaired and returned to me, rather than have the money back.

huge thanks for all your comments..

I think we've sorted it out..this case is a bit complicated and reason of the damage occurs remains mistery, I just picked up the warranty part to see if I misunderstood the idea of warranty.

anyway the dealer agreed to give me full refund today as he said his reputation of being a honest dealer worth more than a small amount of money, and I certainly appreciate that.

thank you guys again.

That's much more reasonable :)

in case it's a pre-owned unit, the warranty is from the dealer.

in case it's an old model and cannot be repaired nor replaced, the only option is to have the refund...I honestly like that unit and wish it to be repaired and returned to me, rather than have the money back.

Ask him if he will, from his position he will have still sold the player and made a customer happy which is good for business.

The dealer is talking bollocks .

There is not a court in England and Wales who would uphold such a warranty covenant.

you are entitled to a repair or refund .

P.S - This is a definitive legal opinion , you would normally have to pay for;)

The dealer is talking bollocks .

There is not a court in England and Wales who would uphold such a warranty covenant.

you are entitled to a repair or refund .

P.S - This is a definitive legal opinion , you would normally have to pay for;)

The dealer has agreed to refund :)

And of course the warranty is with the dealer and not the manufacturer in Europe. it's been that way for years. The manufacturer will doubtless end up servicing the warranty but you have no contract with them whether buying new or old through a retailer.

David,

I think your stetement that "your warranty isnt with the dealer its with the manufacturer" is misleading.

Many manufacturers offer 'warrantys' (although few would cover subsequent owners), but the contract is between the buyer and the seller (in this case a shop). Hence the buyer's rights under the sale of goods act have to be satisfied by the shop.

Lots of shops/dealers try to dodge their obligations to sell goods which are 'fit for purpose' by telling the customer that the manufacturer handles the warranty...

Anyway, glad Mr Sunday got it sorted. I wonder if the threat of an 'outing' on PFM helped.

Martin

David,

I think your stetement that "your warranty isnt with the dealer its with the manufacturer" is misleading.

Many manufacturers offer 'warrantys' (although few would cover subsequent owners), but the contract is between the buyer and the seller (in this case a shop). Hence the buyer's rights under the sale of goods act have to be satisfied by the shop.

Lots of shops/dealers try to dodge their obligations to sell goods which are 'fit for purpose' by telling the customer that the manufacturer handles the warranty...

Anyway, glad Mr Sunday got it sorted. I wonder if the threat of an 'outing' on PFM helped.

Martin

;) you never know

got the refund now, although we happen to have this very unfortunate event,, that dealer is a good man to deal with..I'm still his potential buyer in the future.

I can only hold dealer for warranty because the contract is between me and the dealer, the question is if the warranty is with the unit or me as a person...A very help thought is [under that logic, no gift is covered by any warranty]

Thank you all for your attention.

What if the item was an ipod or similar that all the family could use..... Sorry your Son was using it at his mates so the warranty does not cover that.
Pure bunkum.

advertisement

Back