advertisement

Warped vinyl?

jimbob75

pfm Member
Newbie spinner of vinyl here. Wondering what an acceptable level of warping is? I've tried a dozen or so LPs and a new pressing of In a Silent Way is noticeably more 'up and down' than the others as it rotates. I'd say the difference is about 3mm. However, I've played through and it sounds fine to my ears. Returning to seller is not an issue. Would you return or is it just part and parcel of living with vinyl?

Over the years my trick was to place the LP (in the inner sleeve) under a carpet and leave it there for 1-2 weeks; this did help flatten the vinyl. I guess a pile of books on top of the record would do similar.

This seems to be more of a problem recently although it's always been known.

3mm doesn't sound too bad to me. If the cartridge and arm can cope without bottoming out or jumping the groove and it isn't noticeable soundwise, I wouldn't worry too much.
I've heard putting it between two sheets of glass in a warm airing cupboard for a few days cures all but the worst warps, although I've never personnally tried it.

Andy

I've just bought the Vinyl Flat from Ed on here. I took a massive warp out of 'Expensive Shit' by Fela Kuti with about 4 hours of heat applied. 'News of The World' by Queen is taking a bit more effort.

My "guess" would be that to successfully flatten a record wouldn't be dissimilar to bending sheet metal, in so much it has to be over bent so when it relaxes it goes to where you want it?
So just pressing something flat wouldn't be enough
Hence the heat I suppose?

My "guess" would be that to successfully flatten a record wouldn't be dissimilar to bending sheet metal, in so much it has to be over bent so when it relaxes it goes to where you want it?
So just pressing something flat wouldn't be enough
Hence the heat I suppose?
Its completely dissimilar! You are comparing a metallic bond/lattice vs an organic polymer. Totally different structures.

DV

Its completely dissimilar! You are comparing a metallic bond/lattice vs an organic polymer. Totally different structures.

DV

do you not think if somehow (not sure how) the warped vinyl could be pushed/bent beyond flat then relaxed it would help?

I'd stick with the warp. It's 'orrible when the sound goes flat.:) I've has one or two records in the past that have a specific warp , or bump, almost, which would neither flatten nor play properly. No idea how this could happen but it must have been at the pressing stage, I guess.

In the past I read an article in Stereophile about flattening vinyl between two sheets of glass in a moderate oven.

I must say I've never had the courage to try it out :)

In the past I read an article in Stereophile about flattening vinyl between two sheets of glass in a moderate oven.

Moderate sounds a little extreme!

I read:
Two sheets of glass in an oven set to minimum, allow the glass to warm through.
Switch the oven off, then put the record between the two sheets of glass.
Leave overnight.
First try two or three records that you won't mind losing if it all goes wrong.
Last thing to do is to report back here with your results.:D

Andy

Reactions: ask

My wifes boss did it the other month, I played the LP after as a test, certainly worked for him, after the oven treatment it was almost dead flat.

do you not think if somehow (not sure how) the warped vinyl could be pushed/bent beyond flat then relaxed it would help?
No. Records are made from PVC which is a thermoplastic polymer. Warm it and it softens and can be moulded into shape and then cool it so it hardens and retains its new shape. Thats why the two sheets of warm glass mentioned above can work for warped records.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back