advertisement

Warning: Hipsters on Raleigh Choppers

Do you know more about the ride John? I’ve only ever seen that clip so no idea if he did it all or hopped on for a few minutes. Fun video though, a bit like the chap taking the Boris bike from London to do a similar thing.

Do you know more about the ride John? I’ve only ever seen that clip so no idea if he did it all or hopped on for a few minutes. Fun video though, a bit like the chap taking the Boris bike from London to do a similar thing.
He does various rides I see if I can post a link

Jesus, £1700 for that! I've recently bought a new bike at that money, and it's a proper bike. Titanium frame, carbon fork, hydraulic brakes, decent gear shifters etc. It rides very nicely indeed, as you would expect if you had just spent nearly £2k on a bike. It will leave a Chopper for dead, even with my limited talent. But that much on a Chopper is just dumb.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got a mk1 and a mk2. The mk1 is better for 6' me as there's slightly more leg room. Also much easier to pull wheelies because you're sitting above the rear wheel.

Yes it's true, they're awful bikes. But once you get used to them, they're fun. They dart around with the tiny front wheel. You can go a decent distane on the flat if you dont have to stop and start much or go up a hill.

You can't go anywhere without someone telling you they/their cousin/their girlfriend's brother had a chopper/chipper/grifter/budgie/tomahawk.

What did you get? The pfm-endorsed Lynskey?
Sadly no, that's a very expensive bike. I got a Planet X Tempest. Yes, my apologies, I've become a gravel bike riding trendy, when you next see me I'll have a big beard, a man bun and a manbag. I'd had a spec for a bike in my head for a while. Call it an adventure tourer, it had luggage capacity, disc brakes, rigid forks, mudguard hangers, it had to be comfortable on road for 60+ miles a day and capable of light off road for unsurfaced tracks. I have a bike for that now but it's getting very tired and it's not got disc carriers. I have a Kona Cinder Cone frame that's very nice, but that has no luggage hangers, mudguards, etc. You get the picture. Either way I was into more or less a full set of moving parts at £600-800 parts cost to get something that didn't even meet the brief. Meanwhile I'd seen the Planet X machine, £2.5k fully built or £1200 frame only. Various special offers, yada yada. It did everything I wanted. 700 x 38mm tyres and capacity for 48mm, guards, luggage, discs, 1x11, titanium + carbon, 10kg. But £2.5k. Routinely reduced to £2.2k, still a lot of money, occasionally £2k, hmm. Nice. But I've got a garage full of bikes and parts. Then there was a stock clearance, my size £1800. Go on, rude not to. There's £1200 in parts on that bike before you buy the frame, and it does exactly what I want out of the box. It's good on and off road, the 38 mm tyres are a bit buzzy but quick enough. I might try some CX ones in 30 or 32 for longer road rides, I don't want to take it on a MTB course because the drop bars give you less control on rough terrain so 38mm is big enough. I've got a ride half planned in France right now. Maybe autumn.

Not ridden a bike in decades, alas. When a nipper I did have an umpteeth-hand rusty 'Triumph' bike that was heavy.

Later on I rode a Dawes 'Super Galaxy' to and from work. Took a slightly wnding route to avoid most of the 'motorway' that ran into Mile End from the east. But had to either fo over the Bow Flyover or round the roundabout under it. Either being a hazard given the way some London 'white van man' drivers behaved. They didn't simply ignore bikes. They took them as 'targets of opportunity'! The roudabout at least gave you somewhere to go to dodge being aimed at! But was more difficult than the flyover to negotiate!

Stopped using the bike when I moved away from London. Was then so close to work that it was as easy to walk!

I thought the slightly smaller version was the Chipper, speaking from experience.

I think the hierarchy was Chipper/Tomahawk/Chopper, I had a chipper and went over the handlebars on it, proper face plant into the road.....my (now) sister in law screamed when she saw me.

No helmets in those days, you just had to take you face plants and crack on.....

S

What did you get? The pfm-endorsed Lynskey?

Sadly mine is sitting pretty much unused in the hallway now. I’ve all but given up on road cycling now, just so many dangerous morons on the road. Every time I take it out I seem to have a near-miss with someone cutting me up, overtaking with millimetres of clearance, leaving a side-street in front of me without looking etc. Greater Manchester roads are rammed full of idiots, many of whom are clearly stoned given the stench of skunk one gets at many traffic lights etc. I have a feeling I’m done. I still cycle miles out into the country along canal paths on my old-school MTB and love it, but the roads are just a hellscape. The risk levels way beyond my comfort zone.

Sadly no, that's a very expensive bike. I got a Planet X Tempest. Yes, my apologies, I've become a gravel bike riding trendy, when you next see me I'll have a big beard, a man bun and a manbag. I'd had a spec for a bike in my head for a while. Call it an adventure tourer, it had luggage capacity, disc brakes, rigid forks, mudguard hangers, it had to be comfortable on road for 60+ miles a day and capable of light off road for unsurfaced tracks. I have a bike for that now but it's getting very tired and it's not got disc carriers. I have a Kona Cinder Cone frame that's very nice, but that has no luggage hangers, mudguards, etc. You get the picture. Either way I was into more or less a full set of moving parts at £600-800 parts cost to get something that didn't even meet the brief. Meanwhile I'd seen the Planet X machine, £2.5k fully built or £1200 frame only. Various special offers, yada yada. It did everything I wanted. 700 x 38mm tyres and capacity for 48mm, guards, luggage, discs, 1x11, titanium + carbon, 10kg. But £2.5k. Routinely reduced to £2.2k, still a lot of money, occasionally £2k, hmm. Nice. But I've got a garage full of bikes and parts. Then there was a stock clearance, my size £1800. Go on, rude not to. There's £1200 in parts on that bike before you buy the frame, and it does exactly what I want out of the box. It's good on and off road, the 38 mm tyres are a bit buzzy but quick enough. I might try some CX ones in 30 or 32 for longer road rides, I don't want to take it on a MTB course because the drop bars give you less control on rough terrain so 38mm is big enough. I've got a ride half planned in France right now. Maybe autumn.
Sounds great. Will you be waxing your mustache? If you want to experiment with tyres I can recommend the Gravel King SK+. Fast but enough cushion / traction for the local canal paths.

Sadly mine is sitting pretty much unused in the hallway now. I’ve all but given up on road cycling now, just so many dangerous morons on the road. Every time I take it out I seem to have a near-miss with someone cutting me up, overtaking with millimetres of clearance, leaving a side-street in front of me without looking etc. Greater Manchester roads are rammed full of idiots, many of whom are clearly stoned given the stench of skunk one gets at many traffic lights etc. I have a feeling I’m done. I still cycle miles out into the country along canal paths on my old-school MTB and love it, but the roads are just a hellscape. The risk levels way beyond my comfort zone.
It seems a pity to leave it idle. Stick some fatter tyres on it and ride it on the canal paths?

Sounds great. Will you be waxing your mustache?
You dirty bugger. Mind your own business!
If you want to experiment with tyres I can recommend the Gravel King SK+. Fast but enough cushion / traction for the local canal paths.
Looks good. It already has Pana on board, can't remember which, they have a cheese grater look and buzz at speed. Grip well though in summer condition s off road. As an alternative I have Schalbe CX on the Speed Lobster, I can pinch them for a trial.

advertisement

Back