advertisement

wanted: sun ra explanation

Being so far little initiated into the work of Pa Ra, could anyone please recommend something to me? So far, I've heard (some of) Space Probe, which I do not intend to listen to again. 18 minutes could, if feel, be compressed into perhaps, a few seconds. Perhaps even less. Are there special Ra varieties, or is it all pretty similar, would you say?

i have a feeling ian is about to displace mike hanson from the pfm "worst taste in music" throne. a fondness for mat metheny would clinch it ;-)

sun%20ra%20atlantis.jpg

the joy of it all

vuk.

[... deleted ...] Are there special Ra varieties, or is it all pretty similar, would you say?

As I wrote above - the Arkestra covered a lot of ground.

Among the joys are Sunny's philosophising and the somewhat tacky stage shows. One way to get a flavour of what it was all about would be the video/DVD "A Joyful Noise".

I was lucky enough to see the Sun Ra Arkestra last year
led by Marshall Allen ,as has been said the musicianship is outstanding.
Ive just purchased this
alp265tgmini_1.jpg

with John Gilmore on tenor Sun Ra on piano/organ theres mainly standards on this cd....Tenderly,Black Magic,Ill get by,MY favourite things.etc

As I wrote above - the Arkestra covered a lot of ground.

Among the joys are Sunny's philosophising and the somewhat tacky stage shows. One way to get a flavour of what it was all about would be the video/DVD "A Joyful Noise".

Completely agree. There are performances of unbridled ecstasy in that documentary along with deep insight into both the man himself and the unquestioning loyalty of his musicians. Also, of course, Space Is The Place, the movie. I can't imagine life without this music.

...now, what i am looking for is an explanation of what goes on in the mind of the listener who sits there and presumably appreciates or gets pleasure out of what is going on

I have a fair bit of Sun Ra. Now all I can think of when playing anything by everyone's favourite Saturnian is "Hey! Vuk doesn't like this, I must get some more."

Sun ra live at Monteux isnt his best recording so dont be tempted ...... but yes lots of nice hat photos

must dig it out.

The real point of this thread is its racism, both conscious through the comparison with white classical music, and unconscious. Why would a black musician feel the need to construct a mythology concerning his origin? Why should black musicians make music on anything other than their own terms?

Not that any of this will disturb for one minute the unreconstructed racism and sexism that is the bedrock of pink fish media.

The real point of this thread is its racism, both conscious through the comparison with white classical music, and unconscious. Why would a black musician feel the need to construct a mythology concerning his origin? Why should black musicians make music on anything other than their own terms?

Any musician can make any music they like on any terms they like, and if they wish to claim that they come from Saturn they are free to do that too. By the same token, any listener has the right to say that they dislike said music, and to take the view that people who claim to come from Saturn are a few bricks shy of a load, or just showing off.

wtf any of this has to do with racism or sexism is anyone's guess.

Plenty of people who have commented on this thread have a great deal of respect and admiration for Sunny, largely because of the extent to which he did pretty much everything on his own terms. Mistaking some peoples narrow field of vision and overdone rhetoric for a bedrock of racism in the whole forum is mistaken and possibly trollish.

Not that any of this will disturb for one minute the unreconstructed racism and sexism that is the bedrock of pink fish media.

The ‘white classical’ references stem from the fact that Vuk is predominantly a classical listener who has comparatively little knowledge or experience of jazz. It is his musical starting point and is therefore perfectly valid. Just about everyone else who has responded on this thread is a jazz fan of long standing and has nothing but respect for the genre and those who created it. You have seriously misread the thread if you draw the conclusion of racism.

I will concede there is, on occasion, an issue with sexism here, as there is on all male dominated forums. pfm is moderated far, far better than most in this respect IMO. To describe it as ‘the bedrock’ of my business is as ridiculous as it is offensive. I can’t believe you came out with that statement to be honest – it makes you appear a complete idiot.

Tony.

The ‘white classical’ references stem from the fact that Vuk is predominantly a classical listener who has comparatively little knowledge or experience of jazz

tony.

i suppose that might be what tantris was hinting at, although i'm not so sure: he doesn't typically have much use for what i have to say about classical music and would probably consider himself the truer fan.

anyhow, let me clear something up here. i went through a revolt against pop music during my 20s and it was pretty much all classical during that time. i then got back into the swing of things when house/electronica made big strides and a large part of my listening and record collection for the 10 years that followed took that drection. the deep and detroit variety of house i favour is almost ALL made by blacks (derrick may, brian harden, moodyman, carl craig and followers...), the one notable exception being ian pooley.

as for jazz, i have been listening to it almost daily (for about an hour or two) on the radio for the past 20 years. i'm a newbie in terms of purchasing it and being able to identify what's what, although that has changed considerably over the past couple of years. i've found that i mainly like pre-60s stuff (armstrong, coleman hawkins, a few of the big bands and early miles davis) and that NEVER gets played on the radio here.

vuk.

advertisement

Back