advertisement

[WTD] Wanted Quad FM4 mains transformer

Grog

pfm Member
Sadly my fm4 just stopped working..
Mains transformer gets hot and fuse blows a few seconds in.
The 2 primaries measure different resistance, and when running briefly, one has 95v the other 145v, so I believe it's a partial short in one of the primaries.

Hoping someone has a 'spares' fm4 with a good transformer

I have a spare FM4. It drifts and has board corrosion where the battery had leaked. The battery has been removed but is complete other than that. It powers up ok.

I'd potentially be interested in the outside bits and display board, if you want the inside bits? I have an fm4 with marks on the casing but working perfectly.

Ok Grog, I can box it up and if you want to organise collection it's free. If you want me to send it I need to find out at the post office how much.
Puggie, the sleeve, display and buttons are ok but there is wear on the corner of the facia.
I got this here from rhgbristol last year.
I can take pictures later if you like.

Grog, could I have the casing and display if you don't need them? Not sure if you are having the whole unit and would be happy to post me the 'leftovers' once you have got yours working. I'll cover post and packing of course.

I also have a spares FM4 which would be a shame to part out but could be. Display, case, buttons all good. Battery damage to the board. It’s the tan DIN model.

But wait. I had an FM4 that did just that… and it was just an X2 Rifa cap. After replacement everything worked perfectly. Have you replaced it?

I did check the mains suppressor first.
Strangely it was cracked,
But certain the transformer is faulty.
Primary winding gets very hot quickly, can see the tape wrinkling up. and voltage should be even over the 2 primaries,

Alright instant interest in the case for my project FM4.
So if anyone needs parts let me know.

board has the usual damage but Grog the transformer looks fine.

display is good.

No, I managed to revive the tuner, its working ok. so my original one still needs a transformer!

Maybe Puggie could use parts of your old one if he still needs the display and the case and if you wanted to part with it?

I’ve actually got one here in bits that I may not need the transformer from. For my streamer conversion, I’m probably designing the PSU from scratch.

I’ve actually got one here in bits that I may not need the transformer from. For my streamer conversion, I’m probably designing the PSU from scratch.
that would be wonderful if you do?
i'd hate to write it off when it's good aside from the transformer.

are you making a streamer in the case? i also want to do this, but i'd need to find a non-repairable doner first.

Yep. I got an FM4 but the battery has eaten into the PCB quite badly and the display failed, although it does still tune in and sound ok. I will pull the transformer this weekend and sort out posting to you next week. PM me your address.

My streamer will be a RPi3 and Orchard Audio Apple Pi DAC. I'm in the process of designing the linear PSU for the two boards at the moment. It will run PiCore player, and have a rotary encoder (working) and the OE buttons (not yet working) for controls and a small green OLED in the display aperture.

advertisement

Back