advertisement

Wall mounting Rega turntables

If all the studs and plasterboard in the room are moving to this extent, won't that influence the sound far more than the little segment behind the TT mounting?

A turntable is a very sensitive bit of kit, the stylus works by way of vibration to pick up the sound. Any extra vibration it picks up will effect the sound, it's as simple as that really.
The space between the wall will act as a tunnel for sound, this will cause vibrations, this will then pass through the plaster board and into the wall bracket and then in to the turntable.
A solid wall like a block wall with traditional plaster is the best way for these turntable wall supports, after that things can start to effect it.

Unless you have a problem with foot fall making it jump about, I would place the turntable on a good solid rack, rather than a stud wall

@Hound explains it well. I guess where I come out is what’s the point in investing in what is a really expensive TT when you consider the phono stage etc if you are not going to ensure it’s got the best possible chance of performing to its potential.

Indeed it will. Quite a job though, at least for me...

Yeah, there certainly is a bit of work in it but nothing too bad, if you should decide to go this route make sure you mix the two part paste outside and be prepared to leave the room with the windows open for a bit. The first time I used it I made the mistake of mixing it in the store , high as a kite, I nearly flew across the site.
Also, probably best time make a template and cut and drill your plywood and packing materials first before starting.

A turntable is a very sensitive bit of kit, the stylus works by way of vibration to pick up the sound. Any extra vibration it picks up will effect the sound, it's as simple as that really.
The space between the wall will act as a tunnel for sound, this will cause vibrations, this will then pass through the plaster board and into the wall bracket and then in to the turntable.
A solid wall like a block wall with traditional plaster is the best way for these turntable wall supports, after that things can start to effect it.

Unless you have a problem with foot fall making it jump about, I would place the turntable on a good solid rack, rather than a stud wall

Is this based on anything apart from theory and that the sound of your TT changed when you wall mounted it?

There's no space/tunnel behind plasterboard if it's insulated properly, as all modern houses should be. Mine certainly is. There are upright studs every 16 or 18 inches, along with crossmembers at various heights. Only short tunnels. You really think the speakers could excite all of this sufficiently to pass on vibration to the TT via the shelf?

Surely airborne vibration from the speakers exciting the air in the room will be more significant than airborne vibration exciting the air, then the plasterboard, then transmitting via the studwork to the TT shelf, etc.?

Is this based on anything apart from theory and that the sound of your TT changed when you wall mounted it?

There's no space/tunnel behind plasterboard if it's insulated properly, as all modern houses should be. Mine certainly is. There are upright studs every 16 or 18 inches, along with crossmembers at various heights. Only short tunnels. You really think the speakers could excite all of this sufficiently to pass on vibration to the TT via the shelf?

Surely airborne vibration from the speakers exciting the air in the room will be more significant than airborne vibration exciting the air, then the plasterboard, then transmitting via the studwork to the TT shelf, etc.?

Well I certainly noticed the difference, and so have others.
My void space between my stud wall is insulated, it doesn't suddenly make it a solid wall. It will help but air will still be able to travel through it, and so can vibration.
Air born vibration and ground vibration are very different, ground vibration being much stronger, that's why some like playing with turntable lids down, others not. Some find having better isolation on speakers very beneficial as it injects much less vibration into the fabric off the building.
So lots to think about really, but it doesn't change the fact that, stud walls, and turntables aren't a great match

Well I certainly noticed the difference, and so have others.
My void space between my stud wall is insulated, it doesn't suddenly make it a solid wall. It will help but air will still be able to travel through it, and so can vibration.
Air born vibration and ground vibration are very different, ground vibration being much stronger, that's why some like playing with turntable lids down, others not. Some find having better isolation on speakers very beneficial as it injects much less vibration into the fabric off the building.
So lots to think about really, but it doesn't change the fact that, stud walls, and turntables aren't a great match

What's moving the air in the first place? The speakers.
Where are the speakers? In the room
Where's the turntable? In the room.

Unless you have speakers in the wall, the only way the air in the cavity behind the plasterboard can be moved is by the air in the room moving the plasterboard, which in turn drives the air behind. Your proposition is that this is sufficient to move air around the insulation which fills that space, to the point where it finds, and moves against, the shelf mountings with enough energy to send vibration back through them into the room where the speakers excited the air in the first place, and are still exciting it.

Sorry, but - the air in the room will do more to affect the turntable than the air which has made its way in this fashion through the wall and around the insulation, etc.

You are missing the point. As I said in the last post, it's more the ground vibration caused by the speakers than air born.
The stud wall will vibrate much more than a solid wall, the void space will also react to it.
Ground born vibration is much stronger than air born vibration, any vibration will affect a turntable, that's why many turntable manufacturers try to stop vibration from entering the deck from ground born vibration.
So fixing your turntable to something that is prone to react badly to ground born vibrations is not a good place to start.

It sounds like you probably have fixed your turntable to a stud wall, and find it OK, it will obviously still work, it will obviously still sound OK.
But it certainly isn't sounding as good as it probably could sound if sat on something that's better suited.
Also it's partly down to how far you want to go, and what system you have, etc.
But a good turntable in a good system will benefit in sound quality by providing it with a solid base to sit on.

Isolating the stylus is one of the criteria I'm most focussed on. All of the above can be true but my gut feel is unless there's something odd about your wall or the installation of the TT support is poor a lot of the perceived sonic differences are just that, perceived. I am always looking at different ways to isolate the stylus from outside influence but when you use an accelerometer to measure changes bought about by different mats, different platter materials, cartridge isolation material, etc etc quite often the measured differences can be very small and my guess and obviously it is a guess/hunch is theres one or more other factors at play when you say the sound you here is thinner.

advertisement

Back