advertisement

Wagner Wesendonck lieder

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Not listened to these for a long time. What a stunning set of songs. Listened riveted to the Orfeo Varady set. What a glorious communicative voice she had. I respond to her voice as I do to Ferrier or Nelli. She has a simplicity and intimacy that I feel is quite uncommon in other voices. Are there any other recordings that are worth a listen aside of the classics from Ludwig or Studer?

Only version I've ever spent time with is Cheryl Studer with Guiseppe Sinopoli & Dresden Staatskapelle.... but she is on your list already. What happened to Cheryl Studer anyway? she was the leading soprano 20 odd years ago, then she just vanished.

Not sure where she went but the last thing I heard of hers was Otello. Decent performance but not in the same league as Scotto or Tebaldi.

I like Jessye Norman in the Wesendonk lieder, probably because it was the first recording I had of these songs, and is probably the recording I will still default to.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I must confess it's been years since I listened to them, but will hear them soon in concert, admittedly only with piano quartet:
https://www.konzerthaus.de/en/programm/ein-abend-mit-annette-dasch/2140
I guess when one thinks of Wagner, one only thinks of the operas.

PS For those that don't have her 4Last Songs, Jessye Norman's are a knock-out.

Sounds wonderful.Hope you enjoy the concert. I love the sumptuous Norman in Last Four Songs but I can never get away from Janowitz and Karajan.She soars into the heavens and he supports superbly.

advertisement

Back