advertisement

W4S Mint

Hi Dan

I just don't see that.

I always look at the technology inside first though.

One is a standard class B amplifier with a built in DAC, the other is a digital switching amp, with a built in DAC.

They're going to sound nothing alike, and don't work in the same kind of way.

It's like comparing a valve amp with the Supernait, just because they both have a DAC..

Sure, I'd not expect them to sound the same. The list of integrated amps with a pre-out and a DAC, however, is very short - w4s, naim, peachtree, perreaux? Even without a DAC I didn't find many with a pre-out - not the Ayre, BrioR, Prima Lunas, Rogue, Leben, LFD ... So even before how the product is implemented, the list is a short one, once you've identified a feature set.

Anyway, it was an illustrative product to point out that I don't think the price of the mINT in the UK is unduly high (esp. when compared to markups charged here for importing Naim).

I guess the point is, when comparing costs between UK and US you really need to take the VAT or state/local tax out of the equation - while our taxes are lower, we get a lot less services in the US than the UK. If you do that, the price of the mINT in the UK looks pretty close, and certainly not the markup Naim charges. Also, W4S are internet only, and so you have to buy unheard. In the UK, I think you can dem. them, adding the cost of a bricks and mortar presence.

We do get ripped off a lot in the UK: the rest of the world apparently labours under the delusion that we're still a world power, with an overpaid workforce itching to burn money!

However, there are a number of real world costs involved in buying a US-made product that you quickly get hit in the face by when importing as an individual, or trader.

Many US citizens have to pay a local sales tax on that appealing-looking $1499. But our local 'Value-Added’ sales tax is a stonking 20%.

There are hidden costs, too, imposed by the bank: if I check today's exchange rate on an interweb, it looks like $1499 = £945.35. But that's the median rate: if you want to BUY 1499 dollars, you will actually pay at least £970 and your bank or credit card will likely add on additional charges, too.

That already puts us at a minimum of £1169.

Then, you will pay 5-7% import duty, and a flat rate Parcelforce handling fee of £13.50 - taking the tally to £1239. Plus at least £50 shipping.

The bottom line is that if you buy from Britain at the rock-bottom factory-direct price of $1499, you will actually pay close to £1300 to land it. The official UK distributor charges £1299 and you can try it before buying. In the States, any non-faulty returns attract a restocking fee.

There are many catches that feel like 'rip-offs' built into the UK price but, in this instance, none are the reseller's fault.

We do get ripped off a lot in the UK: the rest of the world apparently labours under the delusion that we're still a world power, with an overpaid workforce itching to burn money!

However, there are a number of real world costs involved in buying a US-made product that you quickly get hit in the face by when importing as an individual, or trader.

Many US citizens have to pay a local sales tax on that appealing-looking $1499. But our local 'Value-Added’ sales tax is a stonking 20%.

There are hidden costs, too, imposed by the bank: if I check today's exchange rate on an interweb, it looks like $1499 = £945.35. But that's the median rate: if you want to BUY 1499 dollars, you will actually pay at least £970 and your bank or credit card will likely add on additional charges, too.

That already puts us at a minimum of £1169.

Then, you will pay 5-7% import duty, and a flat rate Parcelforce handling fee of £13.50 - taking the tally to £1239. Plus at least £50 shipping.

The bottom line is that if you buy from Britain at the rock-bottom factory-direct price of $1499, you will actually pay close to £1300 to land it. The official UK distributor charges £1299 and you can try it before buying. In the States, any non-faulty returns attract a restocking fee.

There are many catches that feel like 'rip-offs' built into the UK price but, in this instance, none are the reseller's fault.

OMFG Item. A post of yours that I agree with! :) :)

advertisement

Back