advertisement

Vulcan does more than wing-over at Wadders!

The CAA are just scared of ex-military aircraft, and it's understandable. With so many aircraft appearing on the scene, usually maintained by volunteers or ex-servicemen on just over minimum wage, it's a recipe for disaster. Many of the pilots are gungho ex-RAF pilots and thrive on danger.

Too many in-service aircraft have crashed into crowds. The Vulcan flew over the crowd a few months ago and was lucky to escape punishment. Let's keep it safe-ish.

The CAA are just scared of ex-military aircraft, and it's understandable. With so many aircraft appearing on the scene, usually maintained by volunteers or ex-servicemen on just over minimum wage, it's a recipe for disaster. Many of the pilots are gungho ex-RAF pilots and thrive on danger.

Too many in-service aircraft have crashed into crowds. The Vulcan flew over the crowd a few months ago and was lucky to escape punishment. Let's keep it safe-ish.

Yes sir :) (Salute)

Always used it when trying to explain techy things to project managers, most of them took with the jest intended.

Arrogance is just everyone else's inability to appreciate how great I am :)

Many of the pilots are gungho ex-RAF pilots and thrive on danger.

Dear Gods I've seen some asinine comments on forums in my time, but that just about takes the biscuit!

Know a lot about Display Flying and Authorisation do you Tony?

Too many in-service aircraft have crashed into crowds.

Please enumerate, because the last accident that I can think of that was like that was the Frecce Tricolori crash at Ramstein back in 1988. As a direct result of this displays were banned from crossing the crowdline.

The Vulcan flew over the crowd a few months ago and was lucky to escape punishment.

If that was the case, then trust me, it will be being looked into.

I know a tornado pilot who is married to a friend of mine and believe me he does not thrive on danger. He's actually quite boring and geekily clever, the opposite of the cliche moustachioed RAF pilot off to machine gun fritz in his sopwith camel.

I know a tornado pilot who is married to a friend of mine and believe me he does not thrive on danger. He's actually quite boring and geekily clever, the opposite of the cliched moustachioed RAF pilot off to machine gun fritz in his sopwith camel.

Don't spoil the illusion for us :rolleyes:

Not at all. A Wing-Over is merely a case of pitching the a/c nose high, stopping the pitching moment, and then adding a touch of roll to let the nose 'fall through'. It's very different from a barrel roll (or even a partial barrel roll) which is combined pitching and rolling manoeuvre.

It's not an aerobatic manoeuvre, nor is it particularly 'crazy'. :)

I take it back. The only roll I've been involved with didn't feel particularly aerobatic. Isn't it a bit of a wing over carried forward. The vulcan certainly seemed well over the top and partially inverted so to recover loads of height and plenty of aileron would have been needed?

Don't spoil the illusion for us :rolleyes:

haha he offered to drive my ex back up to London after we had been to a party in Brighton and I decided to stay with friends. She thought she was going to have a hair raising drive back when he said he had a Z4 but she texted me to say he was doing 70 up the M23

Either that or he was driving like a loon and they got back real quick had a shag and was covering up, she was a slapper but at least we are friends now she is married with kids :)

Well gonna get something to eat now then it's off to bed for the stupid o'clock rise time and journey to RIAT. Goodness knows how I'm gonna get to sleep though....still daylight :eek:

Ah I know - Morrison's Raspberry jam duffnuts and some of those summer drink suggestions topped off by some of that Port found in a mole infested garden a while back :D;) Should do the trick :D

Enjoy RIAT to those going :)

Dear Gods I've seen some asinine comments on forums in my time, but that just about takes the biscuit!

Know a lot about Display Flying and Authorisation do you Tony?

Please enumerate, because the last accident that I can think of that was like that was the Frecce Tricolori crash at Ramstein back in 1988. As a direct result of this displays were banned from crossing the crowdline.

If that was the case, then trust me, it will be being looked into.

Debs,

Perhaps my words came out the wrong way.

There are ex-military pilots in the UK performing at public airshows that operate just inside the loose rules. For example, given the choice between flying a Hunter at quite low-level with a working egress system, or a new paint job, I know which I'd choose. His excuse that he'd bail out holds no water... it's pretty much impossible at high speed, and he'd be too late at low level. It's why ejection seats were invented!
A couple of years ago, one particular Mustang pilot used to get ribbed by his flying colleagues because he used to repeatedly go through dry-runs of his egress procedure. Yes, he looked comical while running through it, but when he had to carry out the procedure for real, and was only safe by about 0.5 seconds, the piss-taking stopped and the others began practicing their procedures.

Yes, flying displays are very tightly controlled since the Tricolori crash, but around the world, every now and then, another mistake shows us why. The Vulcan DID fly over the crowd, the incident WAS looked into, and the excuse was accepted. From memory, a combination of high winds and commercial pressures.

Seen the video of the 'fast taxi run' Victor taking off? Yep, they talked their way out of that one too. Two more seconds or so in the air and there could very easily have been a smoking hole in the ground.

Most aircrew are beyond reproach almost all the time. But I've had to pour more than enough drunk aircrew into the cockpits of fast jets to believe that they're superhuman. We need the boring display rules to save us from inevitable chains of mistakes that build into a crash.

Tony

PS. I really miss being scared at airshows, and I'd quite happily pay ten times the entry fee to experience what an airshow in 1980 was like again.

null_zps9ae64468.jpg

advertisement

Back