advertisement

Vulcan does more than wing-over at Wadders!

Vulcan flew over in a westerly direction at about 1pm today about 10 miles north of Portsmouth. Very noisy - and at one time I lived only about 5 miles from Waddington so I should have got used to them!

That was at Goodwood for the festival of speed and they did a good long flight today, love that old bomber, saw it at farnborough and remember watching it as a kid back in the 70's when they used to fly by low and then power up into a climb and the ground would shake.

I was at Goodwood today. The Vulcan was amazing, but better than that I got to talk to Kevin Schwantz who is my all time no.1 motorsport hero. I shook his hand and won't wash it for month. So that beats the Vulcan then (designed in 1947 amazingly by the same guy that designed the Lancaster)

cool.

I was camping in Cromford in the 80's and a Vulcan came along the valley v. low. Possibly the loudest thing I have ever heard, imprinted in my mind. amazing aeroplane.

They had (think it was) a Eurofighter at about 4:30 that scared the crap out of the boys and to be fair it was bloody loud.

Always used to pop into Yeovilton on the way down to Saunton with the kids, nowadays it's just me going surfing though.

I remember back in the early 80's flying out to a gas production platform off Great Yarmouth at about 2000ft, and one of the buggers passes almost underneath us. Fantastic looking aircraft,

Chris

Whilst serving with the RAF VR in the '70s, I became friends with a Sqn Ldr QFI serving at Waddington.
He invited me to come over for a flight in a Vulcan by just showing my warrant
card at the gate.

One big regret of my life is that I never took up the offer.

Vulcan does more than wing-over at Wadders!

Hardly. That was just a big wing over.

I'm hoping they are getting ready for the full roll at RIAT in a couple of weeks

No chance I'm afraid. It's not cleared for aerobatic manouevres in the ROS so the Campaign for the Abolition of Aviation would never allow it.

No chance I'm afraid. It's not cleared for aerobatic manouevres in the ROS so the Campaign for the Abolition of Aviation would never allow it.

So what the pilot was doing was doing a roll except the bits that he thinks stop it from being a "roll". Crazy by any measure.

Not at all. A Wing-Over is merely a case of pitching the a/c nose high, stopping the pitching moment, and then adding a touch of roll to let the nose 'fall through'. It's very different from a barrel roll (or even a partial barrel roll) which is combined pitching and rolling manoeuvre.

It's not an aerobatic manoeuvre, nor is it particularly 'crazy'. :)

Not at all. A Wing-Over is merely a case of pitching the a/c nose high, stopping the pitching moment, and then adding a touch of roll to let the nose 'fall through'. It's very different from a barrel roll (or even a partial barrel roll) which is combined pitching and rolling manoeuvre.

It's not an aerobatic manoeuvre, nor is it particularly 'crazy'. :)

;)

Don't forget everyone she's at RIAT this weekend so let's support the ol' girl :)

I will be there tomorrow all goin' well :)

Ah that's what CAA stands for - never knew that :D

advertisement

Back