advertisement

VST 'insert' in Windows?

Tenson

Trade: AudioSmile
Can anybody share a way to route sound from various programs in Windoze through a VST plugin before it comes out the soundcard?

Example: In Cubase I can put VST EQ plugin on the main output channels and route that to any physical output I want, however I can only select physical soundcard inputs as the source or import files, but I'd like to process sound from other programs like Spotify for example.

I know it can be done on Mac, Rob made a post on AudioSmile Forum about that though I can't find it now. Any help there Rob?!

I've just had a go with Console. It's good for adding plugins, but it can still only select sound card inputs as a source. What I think I could do is, in windows select the digital output, then connect the digital output to the digital input on the soundcard. I can then select digital input as my source in Consoe or Cubase and route it to any of the other outputs, a good thing I have about 20 stereo input / outputs on my computer!

There shouldn't even be jitter since the digital output and input will both be running on the same clock in the soundcard. So it seems a roundabout way to get the job done but it should work and not introduce any degradation of the sound.

What you want to use is some sort of virtual audio driver - use this as the output from Spotify, and use it as the input to the VST host. I can't say i've used one for years. ReWire was all the rage back in the day for running ReBirth and stuff like that.

A quick google shows a number of options...

Thanks chaps! I used Virtual Audio Cable to pick up the sound from other software and route it back to Console where I can apply any VST plugins.

I also used ASIO4All which allows me to access all my different soundcard ports. If I use Direct Sound it works too, but I can only select one stereo input and 1 stereo output.

advertisement

Back