advertisement

VR and headsets question

I had quite bad nausea playing DCS In VR when I started and could only managed 45 mins or so before needing a lie down. It seems to have abated now and can do several hours without problems.

The VR does make it incredibly immersive, so it’s worthwhile.

DCS in VR does cane the machine, though, even with a 3080 and Alder lake 12600K the frame rate is relatively limited albeit I have it running smooth enough now.

FPS really helps here, also I always set it to 'point and click' to move rather than it moving smoothly, that can be a bad time.

I found this useful for tuning VR in DCS, some of it might transfer to MSFS:

I use the Occulus Quest 2.

Thank you for that, interesting to see the different options available to tweak the settings. I've had a brief look in the MSFS forums too, and there are many posts dedicated to setting up the most popular headsets. I'll have another play around at the weekend to see just how good I can get it looking - I think there is quite a bit of improvement potential to come from the Q2 with my existing setup.

Good luck! Unfortunately as noted above, there's a bit jump to the next level up. The Quest 2 is pretty good TBH, I have sacrificed some resolution for frame rate in DCS, but that seems to be DCS. I can play IL2 at pretty much max. settings in VR.

Scan have Founders Edition 3080Ti in stock, btw (there doesn't seem to be as much demand for those vs the lower end cards), but I can't justify the price jump from the 3080.

https://store.nvidia.com/en-gb/gefo...egory=GPU&gpu=RTX 3080 Ti&manufacturer=NVIDIA

Good luck! Unfortunately as noted above, there's a bit jump to the next level up. The Quest 2 is pretty good TBH, I have sacrificed some resolution for frame rate in DCS, but that seems to be DCS. I can play IL2 at pretty much max. settings in VR.

Scan have Founders Edition 3080Ti in stock, btw (there doesn't seem to be as much demand for those vs the lower end cards), but I can't justify the price jump from the 3080.

https://store.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/store/gpu/?page=1&limit=100&locale=en-gb&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3080 Ti&manufacturer=NVIDIA

Thank you! That’s a refreshingly decent price, they were £1,800 and more not so long ago.

I have only just changed up to the 3070 ti and 2k QHD screen though, so I’ll try and hold off until next year before changing much more, if I can improve settings a bit with the Quest 2.

Thank you! That’s a refreshingly decent price, they were £1,800 and more not so long ago.

I have only just changed up to the 3070 ti and 2k QHD screen though, so I’ll try and hold off until next year before changing much more, if I can improve settings a bit with the Quest 2.

Makes sense. You should be able to get it looking glorious with the 3070Ti, I think this guy said he uses a 3070 and it looks amazing.

Getting one of the cards at RRP is hard, Scan only drop the FE once a month or so and normally they sell out in minutes. You need to subscribe to Parts Alert on Discord to get notifications, took me a month’s wait to get the 3080. The 3080Ti is less popular because it has firmware protection against using it for crypto mining and is also a lot more spensive than a regular 3080, albeit it’s actually more a cut down 3090.

Last edited:

https://store.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/store/gpu/?page=1&limit=100&locale=en-gb&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3080 Ti&manufacturer=NVIDIA

I take it you got a 3080 at the real price, I just paid a grand for the 12g one. That being said I wouldn't get a founders one again, the 3070ti was exceptionally loud both with the fans and with the coil whine.

I take it you got a 3080 at the real price, I just paid a grand for the 12g one. That being said I wouldn't get a founders one again, the 3070ti was exceptionally loud both with the fans and with the coil whine.

Yeah, I got mine at retail. I don’t find it too noisy, but that’s probably because the CPU fan is louder when under load! Not ideal, but tolerable.I should probably get an AIO cooler at some point.

Yeah, I got mine at retail. I don’t find it too noisy, but that’s probably because the CPU fan is louder when under load! Not ideal, but tolerable.I should probably get an AIO cooler at some point.

To be honest I was a little put off the FE’s by garyi’s experience. We got 3070 ti’s at about the same time and he commented on the noise right away. Mine is the Gigabyte Gaming version with a factory OC built in, so it performs very well for the spec. It also has a switch to change to a quieter, non-OC bios if needed. Between the three fans and the curve adjustment available in the Aorus app I’ve managed to get it running very quietly, even when working hard for hours. This was important to me as it’s on a shelf right next to my desk.
Like garyi, I’m a big fan (!) of be quiet! cooling gear - if your cpu cooler is loud I’d suggest trying one of their ‘Silent Wings’ or better fans. Might do what you need for minimal outlay. My cpu cooler is a Corsair 240mm aio and despite their mag-lev bearings good reputation the noise was very obvious and distracting. For another £20, two of the Silent Wings fans transformed it, and they have higher airflow too.

Currently using a Noctua CPU cooler With 140mm fan. Tbh, the machine is pretty much silent at idle and doing office type stuff, it’s only when running heavy loads that is spins up a bit. Yes, it’d be nice if it was quieter under load, but that means spending money!

I probably will an AIO cooler at some point, but it also means a new case to accommodate it.

Currently using a Noctua CPU cooler With 140mm fan. Tbh, the machine is pretty much silent at idle and doing office type stuff, it’s only when running heavy loads that is spins up a bit. Yes, it’d be nice if it was quieter under load, but that means spending money!

I probably will an AIO cooler at some point, but it also means a new case to accommodate it.

Noctua fans have a deserved excellent reputation, and you’ll need to choose well to get something that does a better job. In your case, just swapping a fan may not make much difference, especially in the relatively slow spinning 140mm size. There are a couple of be quiet aio liquid cooler ranges, with silent decoupled pumps and their excellent fans included, plus they have minimal or no RGB. If I knew at the time of purchase what I know now, I would have bought one of those instead of the Corsair, and saved myself the hassle of replacing the fans. Having said that, the Corsair software for the cooler is very good, and you get a dashboard for the whole system which is easy to configure and understand. If I’d gone for the cooler it would have been a perfect match for the Pure Base 500DX case, which is still less than £100 and includes 3 x 140mm fans. Over the last couple of years I’ve dumped stuff from various other manufacturers and replaced it with be quiet! stuff, and always found a significant improvement in performance. If I was looking at a new cooler or case then their stuff is a no-brainer for me, especially if you value a quiet pc.

This Asus 3080 I got is way quieter than the FE 3070ti. Still my son ain't complaining!

All in all thought the RTX cards are certainly louder than GTX, but to be fair they are doing a bit more!

I have a 2080ti in my desktop machine and it sounds louder than an air fryer when running VR. I'm sure the (slightly) newer 30XX series gpus are a little more efficient, but it's an irritating racket sometimes.

I agree that perseverance with the vr does seem to alleviate the nausea to some degree and trading detail for frame rate seems the way to go but I'm a detail-driven obsessive in audio and visual matters, so it's a compromise either way. Flying "my" Extra aerobatic single seater over Bristol Airport and out over Somerset is a bit addictive, but I have yet to shake off the motion sickness effects sufficiently to keep at it. (Of course, I suspect if I were performing the same manouvres irl I'd be in a worse state afterwards.)

Once you've done a bit of sportscar racing in vr, flatscreen is just a bit, well, flat!

advertisement

Back