advertisement

Volvo’s last diesel engined car

I had an S60 with one.
Have to say that I thought it was one of the worst parts of the car. The claim was the power of a 6, with the fuel economy of a 4.
My experience was that it was the other way around.
On top of that, it was dog rough, sounding like a London taxi from cold, and the fuel economy went to pieces if you didn’t give it a decent run at least every couple of weeks.

Sorry, but for me, the BMW 6 was in a different league.
The BMW 6 diesel is a ridiculously good engine, probably the best diesel engine available.

I had an S60 with one.
Have to say that I thought it was one of the worst parts of the car. The claim was the power of a 6, with the fuel economy of a 4.
My experience was that it was the other way around.
On top of that, it was dog rough, sounding like a London taxi from cold, and the fuel economy went to pieces if you didn’t give it a decent run at least every couple of weeks.

Sorry, but for me, the BMW 6 was in a different league.

I used to give mine a regular run, so top 40s for mpg was average.

But yes, the BMW straight sixes were better, but they were for a different market. The best diesel '6ss IMHO, though, has to be the Audi V6 units, although the 2.7 in the S-Type I had was by far the smoothest I have ever known.

I have been a serial 'big diesel' buyer for years. I'm currently taking a break with a petrol, but I suspect once I get fed up with sub 30s fuel consumption, I'll be in the market for another before the market dries up.

nearly bought an XC60 some years back, but the Volvo dealer was so unreliable and disinterested that I walked away and bought a Macan Turbo instead

Passed a few volvo penta places , will they stop making diesel engines for boats ? What will replace them?

Passed a few volvo penta places , will they stop making diesel engines for boats ? What will replace them?
As far as I know, Penta is part of Volvo the lorry maker, not to be confused with Volvo cars. They make exclusively diesel engines for lorries that is then converted for boats. Don't know about the current Penta engine range, are there any petrol ones?
In the olden days a Penta engine could be more or less anything, from tiny outboard engines via B18 and B20 to big 454 Chevy V8's.

I drove a V70 D5 (185 hp tuned to about 225 hp), an S60 D3 (2.0) and a D6. They were all great rides, but I think the D3 was a gem. It felt less like a truck than the 2.4 engines. And it was very quiet and seemed just as fast. I nowadays drive a Passat GTE which is also a very fine ride. But I miss those Volvo chairs every day. Especially those of the V70, they were just so comfortable even after 350K…

But I miss those Volvo chairs every day. Especially those of the V70, they were just so comfortable even after 350K…
Curiously, that's the one recurrent problem in our 2014 V40 D3! I started to notice that my accelerator foot was going numb, and it was because the once wonderfully comfortable seat cushion was sagging. I had a local upholsterer boost it up, and all was well again - until recently, when I started noticing it again. For short shopping trips, it's no problem, but for longer trips, such as the Basel - Belfast long haul, it's quite uncomfortable and I rely on the cruise control, so that I can take the foot off the accelerator. Another trip to the upholsterer coming up.

I even considered a Recaro, but Recaro doesn't make consoles for Volvos.

They will eventually disappear. It's going to be like steam and horses, there will be some applications that need it and there will be a rump but it's going to be small indeed. Big (I mean container ship big) diesels have been running on bunker oil for decades. They are funny things, I don't know much about them except that they are 2 stroke diesels (why, I don't know, I would have thought that anything other than a 2 stroke would have given better fuel efficiency) and the bunker oil is so thick and nasty that the tanks need to be heated to make it fluid enough to burn.
So there's going to be some survival of diesel tech, one way or another, but it's going to become more niche. For light craft, including outboards, the electric motor has already arrived. As has the electric bus, I passed a few new e-buses on the M74 and M6 that were stickered up as Manchester public transport, zero emission electric bus etc, and were clearly being delivered there.

Big marine diesel engines are among the only ICE engines (bar F1 engines with energy recovery) that are approaching 50% thermal efficiency.
I know that they are very good, as you would hope and as the operators are clearly very keen to ensure when you see how much fuel they have to consume. Do you happen to know why they use 2 stroke technology? It's very counterintuitive.

advertisement

Back