advertisement

volumio on rasberry pi 3+

philiphifi

pfm Member
hi everyone,

i just bought a rasberry pi 3+ and i am trying to install volumio on it. I managed to flash it to the sd card but i only get the command line of volumio with no web UI. Do i need to partition the sd card with two partitions? one for the raspberry pi os to boot up and one for volumio?

Thank you in advance

Philip

No you only have to install Volumio, nothing else.
It can be a PIA finding 'Volumio' on your PC - try reading the set up instructions, one of the links it has usually finds it for you.

Briefly download it, flash the SD card on a PC with Etcher or Rufus, boot the Pi from the SD card and make sure it’s pulled an IP number from your Router/DHCP Server then type that IP or volumio.local into Chrome on your PC. You can use an App and hit it via the Volumio hotspot it creates on the Pi.

https://cdn.volumio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Quick-Start-Guide-Volumio.pdf

If you expand on what you’re using hardware wise and exact steps someone will advise as there are a few Pi gurus on here.

Ah - i got it now. I thought the web UI in on the RP 3. Thank you gents. Is Volumio the only software that works with Tidal on the Pi? Is there any free software which works with Tidal connect? I suppose Roon would work but it's expensive.

if that's the case, i just have to pay for Volumio then. Is the power supply stuff snake oil or does it really work?

First step, get a hat like the Allo DigiOne Signature or HiFiBerry. Then perhaps a better quality SMPS. I'm my case I went all the way to the Allo USBridge Sig with DigiOne Sig, and their Shanti dual linear supply. As a transport, it surpasses the SqueezeBox Touch that I had been using before. I'm feeding a Benchmark DAC2 with S/PDIF.

First step, get a hat like the Allo DigiOne Signature or HiFiBerry. Then perhaps a better quality SMPS. I'm my case I went all the way to the Allo USBridge Sig with DigiOne Sig, and their Shanti dual linear supply. As a transport, it surpasses the SqueezeBox Touch that I had been using before. I'm feeding a Benchmark DAC2 with S/PDIF.
I’d second the recommendation, I had the same Allo/Shanti into a TT2 and it was right up there. Had many of the usuals streamer dacs - SBT, BSound, Auralic, Naim and SONOS, the Allo Sig kit is really good value for money and the aluminium case option looks decent and is well built.

...the Allo Sig kit is really good value for money and the aluminium case option looks decent and is well built.
That's one of the reasons I went for it, as the standard cases for Pi-stuff are a bit chintzy. The fact that its performance was also top notch sealed the deal.

if that's the case, i just have to pay for Volumio then. Is the power supply stuff snake oil or does it really work?

It’s works but you’ll be getting a bit ahead of yourself. The stuff quoted above is top of range pi stuff. Just get yourself a cheap DAC hat for the 3. I started off with a JustBoom item and it was very enjoyable. Using the Pi on its own out of its USB port only works well with the 4 apparently because it separates power and signal traffic which the 3 doesn’t.

Ah - i got it now. I thought the web UI in on the RP 3. Thank you gents. Is Volumio the only software that works with Tidal on the Pi? Is there any free software which works with Tidal connect? I suppose Roon would work but it's expensive.
mconnectlite works with Tidal

There is a Tidal plug in for Picore player /LMS - someone else will no doubt pop in to this thread and tell us how it works - as I am not a Tidal user.

See also - https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tidal-plugin.235671/

It’s works but you’ll be getting a bit ahead of yourself. The stuff quoted above is top of range pi stuff. Just get yourself a cheap DAC hat for the 3. I started off with a JustBoom item and it was very enjoyable. Using the Pi on its own out of its USB port only works well with the 4 apparently because it separates power and signal traffic which the 3 doesn’t.
The pi4 usb out to a DAC sounds excellent to my ears although I am yet to compare it against a digi hat.

I have installed Tidal on volumio. It can only output to hdmi or headphone (there is no option to select usb). How do you get it to send data out to usb?

Is there any free software which works with Tidal connect?

PiCorePlayer is what I use. More faff to set up than Volumio but worth it in the end as it is very tweakable and Tidal is a free plugin.You can have it as a stand-alone player or hook up several in different rooms and sync the music throughout. Sound quality through a HifiBerry audio HAT, into my RME DAC, into a Naim system is just superb. All controlled by a phone, I love it. But I like faffing around with computers, which is not everyone's idea of fun.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom