advertisement

Voigt Information

Short answer...you can't. Not full details anyway. They were never published by Voigt or Lowther, although a heavily simplified version was published by Wireless World in the mid 1930s. Voigt argued that the full corner horn was too complex for home build.
As far as I know, the only complete set of plans are owned by John Howes of the Voigt/Lowther museum. That set of plans are signed by Voigt. In practice the full set of plans (five pages of A5) are not totally accurate, presumably because running changes were made in production. The new pair, made for John Howes and exhibited at Whittlebury, are built from the original plans. My brother in law, a professional furniture maker, built them and he reckons they are a bit of a challenge.Then there is the giant reflector made of plaster of paris and the concrete lense....if you are serious (and it could be done if you have the skills and determination) you would need to take an original speaker apart and measure it all...which my brother-in-law also did, because of confusions/ambiquities in the plans. For all I know, someone may have drawn up such a set of plans, but I have never seen them and I would be rather cautious. Most claims of rebuilt corner horns are from the simplified plans, and they are not true DCHs. But it has been done in the past, so.....if you want a few picturs of the internals, see 'adventures in high fidelity' on the net. They have plenty of pics of the new pair.
Sorry I can't be more helpful. I use two original Voigts and finding a couple of them might be the other way to go, even if in lousy condition you could restore them. Utterly fabulous speakers.

I sent a rather lengthy mail to you recently, but not sure if it was delivered.
Please let me know if it was received. if not I will send again.

Many thanks

Thanks for the information.

I built the HC corner horn in 1967 followed by the Lowther Acousta in 1972.
I would very much like to see the disassembled domestic horn to give me more of an idea of its construction.

We visited the hifi show in whittlebury in Sept and had a long talk with John Howes, his speakers were exceptional.

We live near King's Lynn so I believe are some distance from your location.
I mentioned before that I wrote a much more detailed account of my DIY activities but was unable to send them for some reason.

Thanks for all the information it has been most useful.

Best wishes.

advertisement

Back