advertisement

Vivastreet: is this site just full of scams?

I spotted an advert for a £1400 hi-fi item on vivastreet that had been copied from an eBay advert, including the photos. The vivastreet seller claimed to be in a different location to the eBay seller and the price and timing of it, made it extremely unlikely that the eBay purchaser had decided to re-sell it.

Complete scam. Be aware. Be very aware!

My advice: cash on collection only, with sensible precautions when you collect, and don't give the seller any of your personal information. Not a good idea to give your address away to any criminals - especially when you're telling them that you're the sort of person that buys expensive electrical items.

I spotted an advert for a £1400 hi-fi item on vivastreet that had been copied from an eBay advert, including the photos. The vivastreet seller claimed to be in a different location to the eBay seller and the price and timing of it, made it extremely unlikely that the eBay purchaser had decided to re-sell it.

Complete scam. Be aware. Be very aware!

Buying on the net is like playing dice LUCKY 7s dont come to often. I will never bye something off a stranger i cant touch, look and smell.

eBay's not so bad. But sensible precautions should still be taken.

And the pfm classified section's good too. So far. As in: it doesn't seem to have been infiltrated by scammers yet, AFAIK.

Not yet found a proper sale on vivastreet or gumtree for something interesting anyway. The normal scam is that the person has taken a job in either Shetlands, Isle of Man or Orkney so they will only ship and not do cash on collection. BE VERY AFRAID

Flip side is that I have never been scammed on ebay - Paypal is seriously buyers friend (apart from opening an account which is very lenghty!)

CJ

Most of the ads on this site look far to good to be true. Can anyone comment?

I mean £2k for a pair of DBL's, come on......

http://search.vivastreet.co.uk/sell...+city,+neighbourhood&submit=Search&end_field=

We are doing our best to identify fake ads and remove them asap. If you have knowledge of a fake ad, please report by clicking the "Scam" button on the bottom of the ad or sending the Ad ID number to our help desk along with any knowledge you may have of the situation.

Here you will find tips about scams and how to stay safe online.

I have recently been caught by a scammer (how stupid am I?). :mad:

I realize now that someone who registers on the site (Vivastreet) the day of the advert or the day before is likely placing different adverts. every couple of days, for the same or different (never to be sent to the purchaser) items. Different name is used for each advert, different web mail address, from a different area, with a different photo.

They gain your trust (appearing to be so helpful and trustworthy), money is sent and from the moment they receive the money they cease to open their mail.

They then prepare the next advert (still on Vivstreet) and repeat the process. What a way of earning a living!!!

One other thing, if you use PayPal to pay with, you are NOT covered by their protection policy if you mark it as a gift and pay the fee yourself in exchange for free postage. :confused:

Feel stupid and angry but keep smiling.......:D:):D:):D

advertisement

Back