advertisement

Visiting Tokyo - any audio related recommendations

artless

I am visiting Tokyo (for the first time) soon.
Can anyone recommend any vintage hi-fi shops?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for buying something over there?

Whilst I dream of buying a Koetsu cheaply, the reality is that I don't play records that much nowadays.
Also, I only have a mid level MM stage in my amp. (I might look for a Sumiko or Denon MM perhaps to go with my Zeta arm?)

Mains equipment is out, due to the voltage difference.

iPhones (35% cheaper) are out, because no-one can give me a definitive answer regarding being able to switch off the shutter sound when outside Japan using a non Japanese sim. Although Apple did confirm that if I bought an iPhone at an Apple store, I would get a worldwide warranty.

I am staying near Shinjuku, so I can easily travel to most parts of Tokyo.

Last edited:
The Audio Union stores can be interesting to have a look around. They tend to be near Disk Union stores with the largest being in Ochanomizu.

The Disk Union Accessory shop is also interesting for Japan-only bits and bobs.

There are a load of different branches of Disk Union in Shinjuku. Here's an English map: https://diskunion.net/pdf/shop/e_shop_areamap.pdf

Hi-Fi Do is a well known vintage shop down a back street about a ten minute walk from central Akihabara. Aki itself has loads of interesting audio shops/stalls selling everything from components to custom valves amps. I've always found it a bit of a maze.

Sorry I can't be more help with audio shops - I'm all about the record shopping : )

I was in Tokyo in July and I bought a cartridge and a phono preamp board. The situation now is there seems to be a stock shortage in most higher end cartridges. Some stores even demand full payment before ordering for you and it will take a few days. Audio Union is good for shopping because they have duty-free service(most stores don't, make sure you ask, its a 10% saving). Brands such as Koetsu and Accuphase are sold at full listed price, no discount and they don't sell to tourist. The best deal is the mid-range cartridges. You can take a look at their site and email Audio Union which they have a branch in Shinjuku.

I would be after some expensive wooden cupped headphones, probably Audio Technica. They seem to have shot up in price here, and aren’t widely available. Not sure if they are much cheaper there, but at least you’d have some memories attached.

Either that or a cartridge, but that’s been covered above.

I think something small and light makes the most travel-friendly sense. I'm due a new cart soon, and could be tempted to pick one up when I'm there in November. I wonder if the Hana ML is much cheaper in Japan.

JBS has become quite well known amongst hip-hop fans. A few years back Kobayashi-san got so fed up with tourists being noisy and generally not respecting the etiquette of a listening bar that he banned foreigners. I think things are back to normal now. It's an amazing record collection but not the cosiest spot.

Tokyojazzsite has a good listing of jazz bars: https://tokyojazzsite.com/directory

Alternatively if the OP wants to hear classical music being played very quietly over enormous speakers to completely silent customers then a trip to Lion Cafe is an option. Top tip: don't wear rustling clothing! https://blog.uchujin.co.uk/2010/09/lion-cafe-tokyos-worst-best-kept-secret/

Thank you for all your suggestions.

The jazz bars and Lion Cafe look really interesting. However, this will be my secret/solo indulgence, since the rest of the family on the trip don't share my audio inclinations.

I wonder if the Hana ML is much cheaper in Japan.
I never see Hana in Japan and I raised this issue in previous posting. I think its an OEM kind of product. You can take a look at some of the retailers website. Although its in Japanese, you can still see the brands they carry.

I was in Tokyo in July and I bought a cartridge and a phono preamp board. The situation now is there seems to be a stock shortage in most higher end cartridges. Some stores even demand full payment before ordering for you and it will take a few days. Audio Union is good for shopping because they have duty-free service(most stores don't, make sure you ask, its a 10% saving). Brands such as Koetsu and Accuphase are sold at full listed price, no discount and they don't sell to tourist. The best deal is the mid-range cartridges. You can take a look at their site and email Audio Union which they have a branch in Shinjuku.
With the tax free shopping, are you sure your not confusing Yodobashi and Audio Union? Last time I was there Yodo offered it and AU didn't. It would be great if Audio Union changed their policy.

The Akihabra Yodobashi is bigger & better than the Shinjuku store. Another place I like is Sound 110 (new & used audio) between Akihabra & Ochanomizu.

Audio Union didn’t offer it when I bought something last October but seeing as it was about a third of the UK price I wasn’t complaining!

communication in the store wasn’t the easiest but I’d prearranged to pick it up by email which was straightforward.

I suspect you may be able to get a tax refund at the airport but I’ve never tried so can’t say for sure.

at current exchange rates, used vinyl is criminally cheap in Disk Union! I’ll be back there in November so planning some spending.

advertisement

Back