advertisement

Virgin Media are quaking

But didn't your's say no increase during the current contract?

"However, this 2023 price increase won't affect you until your current price offer ends."

My email says the increase in the current contract would be from May, the current contact is up in September so an increase during the contract.
Yes, that’s right ‘tone, no increase but still the offer to cancel.

Let me double check for absolute certainty, now where’s that letter again :), just found it, sorry about the tea stain.
0-B279-C6-F-FE49-43-F8-9-E50-963-DF6-F11932.jpg

1249125-E-D925-49-B7-A579-7-EAC07324-DC0.png

I read that VM-O2 (Liberty Global) are pondering a buyout of Cityfibre :D

Are they a listed company/ Seems a bit odd that the major fibre company wants to double-up, as it were.

Marvellous

You can't win, Tony. Anticipation is there to be dashed !

B.t.w., folks, I've mentioned my warm new hub 4, but have now found that it uses 12 watts idling and 15.3 watts loaded (I presume that means 'being used')

Taking the average at 13.5 W, 24 hours uses 327 watts; a week, 2.293 kW. Not sure what leccy costs are at the mo' but that seems a fair whack for such a device. Thinking of turning my hub off overnight, as I haven't had a nocturnal ph. call for years, and that was a wrong number. My old router with the flickering blue lights (no idea of model) always ran cool so never questioned its consumption. Eco-friendly?

My old router with the flickering blue lights (no idea of model) always ran cool so never questioned its consumption. Eco-friendly?
I am currently a bit concerned about VM's recycling policy.
That is, there doesn't seem to be one.
I've had two upgrades in the space of one month; leaving me with a spare Superhub and a spare Hub3 that they don't want returned.

There isn't even any interest for them on ebay.

I am currently a bit concerned about VM's recycling policy.
That is, there doesn't seem to be one.
I've had two upgrades in the space of one month; leaving me with a spare Superhub and a spare Hub3 that they don't want returned.

There isn't even any interest for them on ebay.

they asked me to return my old equipment using the box my new equipment arrived in.

IIRC there was a pre-printed label

I just needed to go online and arrange collection with their chosen courier.

Are they a listed company/ Seems a bit odd that the major fibre company wants to double-up, as it were.

You can't win, Tony. Anticipation is there to be dashed !

Probably the smart move for them Mike as they have no competition in a lot of areas so buy out the competition and increase the charges.

In a ‘normal’ country you would expect the government to step in to protect the customers by ensuring that there is competition, especially as Cityfibre are spending billions on infrastructure but it’s the tories we’re talking about here.

I got the same letter about price increases - £15 per month extra on a £52 per month contract starting in May 2023. My contract expires in July 2023.
I called Virgin Media today and selected the "I'm leaving option". Immediate automated offer of a £7.50 discount. I hung on to talk to someone, fully expecting a long call to negotiate (as per past years).
They cancelled the increase, and reduced my bills to £29.50, £37.00, and £52.00 thereafter till my contract ends. And then advised me to call a few weeks before my contract ends to negotiate the next contract.

This was my easiest negotiation with Virgin Media yet (I have been with them for 10+ years). Normally, they play hardball.
Either I got lucky today, or it's a sign of the times and they need to retain customers.

Getting through to an actual human being on the phone is like an episode of the crystal maze. Can I have your password you set a decade ago? Your account number? Uncles shoe size? They've always done the 'you're getting a free speed increase!" email, then 2-3 weeks later "omg sorry you're getting a price increase" - like clockwork.

EE are just as bad for my mobile. I might try going vodafone for both or something and get a better deal.

I got the same letter about price increases - £15 per month extra on a £52 per month contract starting in May 2023. My contract expires in July 2023.
I called Virgin Media today and selected the "I'm leaving option". Immediate automated offer of a £7.50 discount. I hung on to talk to someone, fully expecting a long call to negotiate (as per past years).
They cancelled the increase, and reduced my bills to £29.50, £37.00, and £52.00 thereafter till my contract ends. And then advised me to call a few weeks before my contract ends to negotiate the next contract.

This was my easiest negotiation with Virgin Media yet (I have been with them for 10+ years). Normally, they play hardball.
Either I got lucky today, or it's a sign of the times and they need to retain customers.
Congrats, the agent you spoke to must have been in a good mood!

This was my easiest negotiation with Virgin Media yet (I have been with them for 10+ years).

My experience also this time (6/7 weeks ago); offered eff. same 3 way package for a quid more. Took it. A real p.i.t.a. in previous years (with them since '09)

Getting through to an actual human being on the phone is like an episode of the crystal maze. Can I have your password you set a decade ago? Your account number? Uncles shoe size? They've always done the 'you're getting a free speed increase!" email, then 2-3 weeks later "omg sorry you're getting a price increase" - like clockwork.

EE are just as bad for my mobile. I might try going vodafone for both or something and get a better deal.
I ditched BT Broadband @ £70/mo in favour of Vodafone @ £22/mo and got a faster service into the bargain. Ever so slightly less stable than BT but not enough to cause concern.
Also going to ditch EE as my mobile provider; been with them for years,but recently lost my EU roaming which they now want me to pay £15/mo to get it back. For £3 less per mo. I can get an O2 contract with more data and EU roaming included.

advertisement

Back