advertisement

Violin bass guitar

MikeMA

pfm Member
I've always fancied a Hofner or similar violin bass guitar. Are they any good ? There are several Hofner versions at various price points and some look alikes. Any recommendations? I've not played for years but fancy having having a go again. I know I can try one at a local dealer but I'd be interested in experienced players' opinions.

Paul McCartney has used one since his early days in The Beatles and still does, so he seems to like them.

As ever the best thing to do is find a dealer and give one a go.

I love the look and sound of my Rickenbacker 4001 but find it awkward to play so usually use my Fender.

Andy

A friend of mine bought a brand new one 2 years ago at $800.00 CDN (£400.00) and it really sounds great, very easy to play and the neck is 100% straight.
At this price point, this is an entry level Hofner made in a "cheap labor" country so he told me he has very lucky to get such a good bass for that little money.
I tried it myself and gosh it’s so easy to play you just can’t stop ! I didn’t like the fact it doesn’t have the slam of a 34" scale bass though and it also doesn’t fit at all with the songs I play so no go for me.

advertisement

Back