advertisement

Vinyl vs CD

Pardon me for butting in but shouldn´t that be "streets ahead" or have things changed more while I´ve been away than I thought ?
According to GT it’s streaks not streets ahead. Maybe streets got converted into streaks during the transfer process into vinyl but it’s ok because most vinyl lovers prefer streaks as it sounds more “natural”.

Just for fun I looked at the measurements for vinyl gear in the "Hi-Fi News best of 2019" list that just showed up in my mail box.

Pickups: Ortofon MC Anna Diamond THD 0.5-11 %, stereo separation 35 dB, frequency response20 - 20 khz -0.4 - +2.1 dB
EMT JUbilee JSD 6 THD 0.3-17 %, stereo separation 29 dB, frequency response 20 - 20 kHz -0.3 - +5.3 dB
Turntables: TechDAS Air Force III Premium rumble -68.5 dB, Hum & Noise -53 dB
SME Synergy rumble -71 dB, Hum & Noise -60 dB
Phono preamps: EAT E-Glo Petit SNR 88.5 dB (MM) / 69 dB (MC)

Which is why, as far as I'm concerned, ASR is only of very limited use. Would your favourite tipple taste any better if you knew its chemical composition?

Thought I was transported back in time with the thread title. If you enjoy CD / vinyl format then it's right for you. I'm vinyl buy the odd CD for the car as I dont like streaming ether that or I'm an old daftie.

So why bother with a TT and CDP if both sound the same?
Total waste of money !

the answer is obvious. I only have a few dupes just to test the systems & out of curiousity. Otherwise my LPs are old not on cd or are an historical possession bought decades ago, before cds were available, where as my cds are new items or non dupe material, often now budget versions of what on LP were full price so I didnt buy & cant get on LP now- I dont want to spend money on cds to replace the LPs if I could ( other for the reason given ) when the LPS are fine? so not a waste of money really the opposite. Just a matter of being an old person collecting over many years. Of course if you were to start now you wouldnt mix and match just get cd. But I started along time ago (but I dont have any wax cyclinders though)

Good Afternoon All,

Apologies for those who may note my repeating things I've said elsewhere.

My last listening session at Cymbiosis highlighted the difference between vinyl and streaming (OK not CD exactly but......). Having now acquired a Linn Akurate DS/3 Katalyst (as opposed to the Climax I heard at Cymbiosis) I have done a fair amount of listening to both vinyl and steaming (whilst also comparing against a Linn Karik III/ Numerik).

More than ever I am now aware of issues with vinyl I haven't been previously but even more importantly I'm aware of the impact the room has on the sound.

I am having to 're-train' my ears to the sound coming from the streamer, my perception of 'bass' has very much changed - to put it simply the sound has moved from bass 'thud' to bass 'detail'. Sound Optimisation is also 'in play'.

I'm not throwing anything out at this point as there are issues with the room to resolve by fitting suitable products courtesy of GIK Acoustics but, long term, a combination of economics and SQ will, most likely tip the balance in favour of streaming for me personally.

Regards

Richard

One example.
I was offered the London Grammar debut album, with included CD.
Both sound exactly the same, with added vinyl noise.

How could it be otherwise? Digital through LP sounds digital (no sonic signature) on the black stuff.
In fact, it is a good test for vinyl replay correctness.

Ru
One example.
I was offered the London Grammar debut album, with included CD.
Both sound exactly the same, with added vinyl noise.

How could it be otherwise? Digital through LP sounds digital (no sonic signature) on the black stuff.
In fact, it is a good test for vinyl replay correctness.

What absolute twaddle. Vinyl and it’s playback imparts orders of magnitude more distortion over the digitally recorded source. If you were correct, vinyl would be a perfect copy of the source. Which it audibly and measurably is not.

I buy quite a bit of recently recorded Electronic music on vinyl, which is originally produced on digital equipment. I just like the sound of it via vinyl, with the added texture and spacial effect it seems to bring along. With Classical music I tend to prefer digital recording and playback. Eg. Anonymous 4 singing St. Hildegard von Bingen really needs digital in order to present all the subtlety.

I personally enjoy music of both formats but when some one indicates a preference what is the benchmark, an Oppo or Esoteric ? Rega or Rockport, cheap( as long as it works) phono stage or cost no object. So many variables.
We even have a self proclaimed expert on this site who responds with terms such as "bollocks"when questioned. Some one famously and stupidly said that football is more important than life and death nor is CD v Vinyl.

I have just played some music on my PC and then onto my system ,chalk and cheese, like a lot of musical taste and ability to spend dosh.
For the record when I heard CD years ago I said "wow" mainly because of the silence between tracks and soon was more attracted to overall recording quality rather than any faults within analogue playback.

Reel to Reel!!!!!!

It’s beautiful to behold and using a record player is for me better than any Japanese tea ceremony but I don’t for one minute pretend it is better technically than digital methods of capture and reproduction given the list of limitations as long as your arm.

OK, so if digital is technically better, then tell me why after 37 years of digital playback, why both vinyl and tape (both analogue mediums) are considered the premium choice of audiophiles worldwide, and why there are more turntables being made today than ever before in the history of audio?

OK, so if digital is technically better, then tell me why after 37 years of digital playback why both vinyl and tape (both analogue mediums) are considered the premium choice of audiophiles worldwide, and why there are more turntables being made today than ever before in the history of audio?

lots of well off people who are willing to buy snake oil

9ZECyHj.jpg

OK, so if digital is technically better, then tell me why after 37 years of digital playback why both vinyl and tape (both analogue mediums) are considered the premium choice of audiophiles worldwide

Are they?

and why there are more turntables being made today than ever before in the history of audio?

Are there?

OK, so if digital is technically better, then tell me why after 37 years of digital playback why both vinyl and tape (both analogue mediums) are considered the premium choice of audiophiles worldwide

So if a majority of audiophiles believe 1 + 1 = 3, does that make it a fact?

advertisement

Back