advertisement

Vinyl virgin

FC united

pfm Member
Hi all, I have not had a turntable since about 1984 and that was on an aiwa mini system I had. I have recently cobbled together a entry level naim system compromising of a cd5, nap 150x , nac 152xs a flatcap xs and a pair of es11's.
Could any one recommend the best way to add a turntable to this set up and which one would suit?
Thanks laurence

I would imagine you've had no replies as basically its the piece of string answer really. What's your budget, what do you listen to etc etc.
I had very very nearly the exact same set up as you some years ago and I had a Linn LP12 with Origin Live Silver Mk2 arm and a Denon DL110 cart through a Naim Stageline and it was excellent. Prior to the Linn I had a Rega Planar 3 with the Denon cart in this system and the Linn was far superior than the Rega giving a much tighter sound and extracting more detail and letting the Denon shine considering its low cost. That's my thoughts anyway.

Laurence get yourself a Rega turntable, most of them are plug and play, start with RP1/Carbon or Bias but go higher if budget permit

You will need a phono riaa stage, your preamp will power up a Naim stageline (N for MM) otherwise and cheaper is the Rega Fono but there are plenty of choices out there for allmost any wallet, a matching signal cable is required.

Make sure to put the new TT on a level base and tracking weight correct

I doubt very much you will miss the Aiwa at all

Try to get hold of an old Sony or Pionner from the upper models from the 70's for under £200 in great shape and get the best cart you can afford. If you can get up to a Kenwood or even Micro Seiki, it'll be the last turntable you'll need and still be cheaper than a Rega RP1 or RP3.

I would go secondhand. Why not keep an eye on the Classifieds section, loads of good kit around and I've never had a problem buying or selling on PFM. All the good guys are on here!

advertisement

Back