advertisement

Vinyl Tracking Problem.

I.D.C.

pfm Member
Recently got a brand new album which I RCM before playing. The record looks spotless. Played side A & B then side C. Two songs in my needle started skipping back the way. I'm at a loss what is causing this. Tonight I played another new album with no problem. Any ideas ?

Just in case it turns out to be the problem, I’ve found some recent-ish (last ten years, say) pressings to present tracking challenges even to quite well-specified and set up kit: some specific examples being a well-thought of reissue of Red Hot Chili Peppers “Blood Sugar Sex Magik”, The Beatles “Mono Masters” and the Music On Vinyl issue of Jay-Z’s debut. It is quite sobering to see a SME V shiver and shake because of what’s in the groove.

Simplistic, I know, but if the arm/cart. geometry is as it should be (incl. bias), then it must be the record, esp. if just cleaned. As I had a recent and similar experience but on an older record, I cleaned it again with a good scrub to the affected area and soak, and it cleared what was presumably an obstinate obstruction. Having said that, another record skipped just as before after this treatment so was obviously groove damaged.

Rarely, but I have encountered significant vinyl pressing defects. One record just didn’t have fully formed grooves at one point and another had bits of record label embedded in the vinyl and slightly breaking through the surface.

However, if the athe whole cartridge/headshell shimmies in the way MotelBlues suggests then this really sounds more like a cartridge/arm mismatch.

Just in case it turns out to be the problem, I’ve found some recent-ish (last ten years, say) pressings to present tracking challenges even to quite well-specified and set up kit: some specific examples...

The Beatles “Mono Masters” ... It is quite sobering to see a SME V shiver and shake because of what’s in the groove.

All but one side of the "Mono Masters" seemed OK here. (Shure V15/III on a Technics arm+TT). However one side made the arm wobble sideways once per revolution. Made me wonder if the lathe wasn't moving in a smooth spiral but 'jumped' once per rotation. Can't see anything by eye, but definitely odd. However the arm has, nominally, much too high an inertia for the stylus, so may not have shown other wobbles at higher frequencies.

However, if the athe whole cartridge/headshell shimmies in the way MotelBlues suggests then this really sounds more like a cartridge/arm mismatch.

True on one level. But the LP really shouldn't have such LF on it that is so big as to generate visible wobbles of the arm.

A mismatch between cartridge compliance and arm mass can cause the the whole cartridge to visibly oscillate - you don’t need extreme LF on the record to cause this.

Jim, I’m afraid your idea that the cutting lathe jumped just doesn’t hold water - if that had happened you wouldn’t just see a wobble, you would definitely hear a significant accompanying noise and ‘jump’ in the flow of the track playing.

A hair folical stuck to the vinyl is a surprisingly common cause of "jumping"... very hard to see without bright light and magnifying glass but easily cured by pinging it off with thumb nail.

advertisement

Back