advertisement

Vinyl Revival IFA Berlin and the Yamaha GT-5000 turntable

onlyconnect

pfm Member
Just back. Surprised by the number of record players on offer, at every price from the Crosleys with ceramic cartridges to the high-ish end. IFA is general consumer electronics and not an audio show, but Yamaha had a great stand and I took a look at the new GT-5000 turntable; they told me they got engineers out of retirement to remind them how to build a turntable. May be PR fluff! Anyway, quick write-up here:

https://www.itwriting.com/blog/1160...fa-in-berlin-including-gt-5000-turntable.html

and when I have a moment, I might do something on Sony's intriguing 3D audio app!

Tim

They must have hired in the guy who did the original Fisher-Price record player arm.

bf034.jpg

now that i think about it the arm reminds me of these, which i must say are quite intriguing -- especially since they're designed to sit on top of the turntable plinth.

I’ve seen those get positive subjective reviews, but the tracking distortion on the shorter models must be simply atrocious. I’d like to hear the 13” one though, that may be long enough to at least partially get away with it. I certainly accept anti-skate is a huge issue/compromise with conventional pivoted arms.

PS I’ve not attempted to do the math here, but my guess is these arms will be in correct alignment absolutely nowhere on the record surface at all, unlike a conventional offset arm that at least manages it at two null-points. I’d be interested to know how many percent out they actually are.

PS I’ve not attempted to do the math here, but my guess is these arms will be in correct alignment absolutely nowhere on the record surface at all, unlike a conventional offset arm that at least manages it at two null-points. I’d be interested to know how many percent out they actually are.

I’d have thought it would have one point of exact alignment. I have an open mind about this, all arms have some compromises.

Tim

With a published effective length of 223mm, 0º offset, and -17mm overhang (17mm underhang) there will exist a null at 89mm. Tracking error will start out at +11.9º with tracking distortion at 7.09% (@ 146mm radius) and will end at -9.2º with tracking distortion of 13.3% (@ radius 60mm)!

It doesn't matter whether one uses Lofgren 'A', 'B', or Stevenson maths, the results will be the same, as all assume positive overhang and offset.

Anything other than a conical tip would be wasted on this.

Last edited:
No pics with a cartridge attached but the path of the stylus must be pretty close to the pitch adjuster body enroute to the record!
Looks like a quality bit of kit though, Yamaha do know how to do piano black though ( I guess they’ve had plenty practice!).

advertisement

Back