advertisement

Vinyl Record With Dual Speeds 33 & 45rpm?

Minstrel SE

These go to eleven
I have just bought a 7" classic with 45rpm on one side and two tracks at 33rpm on the B side.

I have owned this record in the past but had forgotten that a record could come with a different speed on each side.

I wont say what it is just yet as Im trying to win more of them at the moment.

It just got me casually thinking why they have done this and do you own a dual speed vinyl record?

Aphex Twin's Druqs 4xLP is a bewildering mix of 33 & 45. I don't think I've ever played it at the right speed yet. It's in a foot and a half long box too, just to make sure you can't file it anywhere sensible.

The 7" of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart has a 33rpm flip-side, was always a giggle to play it on a pub jukebox.

And there was me thinking I pretty much had a 'handle' on recording speeds for vinyl and earlier.

I have 78's at 'Speed 80' and at 78.
I have vinyl 12" albums at both 33 and 45.
I have 12" singles at both 33 and 45.
I have 7" singles at 45
I have 7" EP's at both 33 and 45.

I don't have:

-Vinyl with different speeds on different sides.

I strongly suspect such things to come from the 80s nihilst era when it was thought acceptable to package an LP or a Cassette Tape in sandpaper 'For effect'.

-Anything on speed 16 and two thirds. I have never seen such a thing. I know that it was an agreed standard for speech and featured on the classic 4 speed disc players of the 50's 60s.

Did 16 and two thirds discs ever actually materialise?

Mull

Aphex Twin's Druqs 4xLP is a bewildering mix of 33 & 45. I don't think I've ever played it at the right speed yet. It's in a foot and a half long box too, just to make sure you can't file it anywhere sensible.

The 7" of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart has a 33rpm flip-side, was always a giggle to play it on a pub jukebox.

Ha :D You might just have mentioned it there. Oh well Ive got an excellent copy already :)

It's extremely common now. Side 1 at 45 (club track) side 2 at 33 (home listening/bedroom track). I've got loads of post-dubstep type stuff like this. The Shackleton / 3 EPs and Peverelist triple albums alternate speeds in this way.

The most annoying though is System 7 / 777 which clearly states it is a 45 on all 4 labels when in fact it runs at 33 on all 4 sides. I always forget.

Edit. I have a Kate Bush 12" (I think it's the Sensual World) that has a double groove on one side. You either get the vocal version or an instrumental version. At random. That's more annoying.

and then there is the "completely missing the point" releases.

I bought a Bon Iver 12" only to find that it played at 33 anyway and took up exactly the same space as it would had it been a full album so leaving all of the vinyl blank except for one track on the outside edge of the disc.

Complete waste of the concept and capabilities. of a 12" disc.

Plane crasdh ep, in spiral carpets 45 and 33 on opposite sides of a 12", the 33 side is as long as you can cut.

Is speed relative to quality ?

Would a 45rpm 12 inch single sound better than a 33rpm 12inch record of the same music?

The needle will hit the groove at a faster speed so will it extract more information in real time? Much like a faster speed on a tape recorder ?

Just wondering...

The Throwing Muses - The Fat Skier has six tracks on side one is 33rpm and one track Soul Soldier in 45rpm on the reverse.

By far the most annoying was a Monty Python LP with effectively several (4, I think) spiral tracks on the same side of an LP. What you heard depended entirelu upon which of the 4 run in grooves the stylus slipped into.

Chris

By far the most annoying was a Monty Python LP with effectively several (4, I think) spiral tracks on the same side of an LP. What you heard depended entirelu upon which of the 4 run in grooves the stylus slipped into.

Chris

Not quite. Known as the 3 sided LP it had 2 tracks running on one side!

and there's that Konono #1 / Dead C split 12". The Dead C side comprises 4 evenly spaced locked grooves. It's so annoying to play that I don't. Plus it's the Dead C so it's pretty much atonal feedback.

I just started playing this 7 inch box set I got for £10 which I see the price went up. It sells for $75 normally. Anyway I played the first couple which were at 45rpm, I just played The Clash disc and it's at 33 rpm.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have hundreds if not thousands of Dance 12" that are 45 rpm on the A side, 1 track, and 33 rpm on the B side, two tracks is it.

Very common, in fact, I would say quite prevalent there.

DS

Classic Records did a few comparison 12"s with the same songs on both sides, one side cut at 33 and the reverse cut at 45.

I have just bought a 7" classic with 45rpm on one side and two tracks at 33rpm on the B side.

I have owned this record in the past but had forgotten that a record could come with a different speed on each side.

I wont say what it is just yet as Im trying to win more of them at the moment.

It just got me casually thinking why they have done this and do you own a dual speed vinyl record?
Many years ago, about 1971, I had a record called Tintinabulation IIRC. One side was a regular 33 rpm recording of a woodland dawn chorus. The other side was Tintinabulation proper, a series of bell sounds that was designed to be played at any speed from 16 - 78rpm.

advertisement

Back